Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primary Arms Warranty a big Disappointment. Update

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Coal Dragger;2861131]Should have bought glass from a reputable manufacturer of known quality that has a history of making glass for hard recoiling rifles and hard use.

Got what you paid for.[/QUOT

Exactly. Buy cheap, buy twice
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 07-10-20 at 10:50.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    FWIW I had to send a $1200 scope back to its US-based maker twice to get a basic issue fixed. Bad warranty service is not that rare. In that case the company had a CS side of idiots just trying to close out tickets, and only with persistence did the scope eventually get to an actual tech, who identified the problem in 30 seconds and replaced the scope.

Had a completely unrelated military-focused $1100 optic go back to its different US maker once for a total failure of the adjustment mechanism. They denied a problem but the unmistakable problem was gone when the scope came back.

YMMV.

This is why companies like Nightforce stay in business. Sure, brand X seems to be the same for 1/3 the price, but NF (and some others) actually work out of the box, 99.99% of the time.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I called, need to wait for a reply back as person I called was not clear about the issue I was describing.

Before I make a fool of myself does everyone understand what I'm talking about?

If the Rear Focal Ring/Diopter/Ocular(whatever you wish to call it) is NOT tightened all the way down you can shift it Left, Right, Up and down. While looking through the optic on a fixed target and applying finger pressure to the Ocular lens/diopter you can make the reticle move off target. The whole target doesn't move, just the reticle. This does not seem like it should be happening.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yeah, think of all that ammo wasted chasing this kind of shit, then the need to rezero / confirm it works when it comes back and factor it into the cost of a 'cheap' optic.

Not to mention, what is your time worth to you dealing with this shit.

Screw that.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 07-10-20 at 16:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Should have bought glass from a reputable manufacturer of known quality that has a history of making glass for hard recoiling rifles and hard use.

Got what you paid for.
    This.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Stuff like this makes me glad I dumped all the Primary Arms/Holosun optics that I had on nonessential guns and replaced them with non Chinese manufactured optics.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Agreed.

There’s a lot that goes into a scope that tracks right and doesn’t fall apart. I am fortunate enough that my time is more valuable to me than my money, and even if PA did correct the issue I’d still have to reinstall and level the scope, go rezero the weapon and still I would never fully trust it. This would mean bringing a backup rifle if I was doing a gas gun PRS match or something. What a headache.

One doesn’t even need to go stupid like NF or S&B. Higher tier Vortex’s aren’t even that expensive, and you can buy used ACOGs for only $200 more than that thing costs.
    Once upon a time while I was in college, before I got a sweet vacation to Iraq, I had a job with Bass Pro Shops in the Springfield, MO store. We had a 100 yard rifle tube in the store, and at various times I would help mount scopes and sight in customer rifles. This sounds at first glance like a fun job, but you would be wrong. You would be wrong because most people buy total garbage.

I can tell you it is no fun at all hammering 20 rounds of .300 Remington Ultra Mag down range out of a hunting rifle with a cheap stock, 5lb trigger, and budget scope in cheap mounts that will not hold adjustments. The whole exercise is just pointless and stupid. After about 10 rounds it’s also painful. Now do this dumb shit about 6-7 times per day just to make the lesson sink in.

The only plus side to all of that shooting of other people’s guns, and burning their ammo is learning who makes stuff that works and who doesn’t.

A cheap rifle can often be mechanically quite accurate off of a bench, even if it’s otherwise an unpleasant trash pile to shoot that will never give good practical accuracy to a shooter in the field because it’s not user friendly. Old Savages are a good example.

Sometimes cheap ammo turns in great groups, and premium ammo turns in mediocre results in some barrels.

But a cheap optic is almost always a dumpster fire on top of a gun you actually plan to use, and it’s the most likely item along with mounts that people will skimp on. Even if you tell them it’s a bad idea, they will still buy some bargain basement trash optic.

These people then turn around and complain that their shit optic is still shit after they had it replaced or fixed. What did they think was going to happen? They think to themselves “I’ll send in my janky Chinese sourced Primary Arms scope that fell apart when I actually tried to use it, and they will rebuild it or replace it with the special sauce version that’s as good as a Nightforce! They have a lifetime guarantee, so they’ll make sure it’s good this time!”

Then they get a brand new Chinese sourced replacement that has no more QA/QC than the original. Maybe it breaks if they actually use it, or maybe this one holds up. It’s a dice roll.

This chance is also taken by the distributors of these cheap sketchy optics, the calculation is that most of their customers don’t actually shoot enough to encounter an issue and therefore turning out unreliable trash with a lifetime guarantee at a high markup is a good business model. The vast majority never discover their scope is hot garbage, and the few that do can be covered when needed at relatively low cost. This is a pretty solid business model for the firearms industry, because for some reason a lot of consumers in this community will put up with shockingly bad products that don’t work right and come back for more.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My most expensive scopes have been the ones I have had the least regrets about and no problem with.

People say nightforce are so expensive, I guess. But the value has been there for me, and I don’t have the super expensive ones though. I have a nxs 1-4, nxs 2.5-10, and nx8. All three were purchased for under 1500$, some closer to 1000$. They all came assembled properly, have not broken on me over years and years of use for some. Have great reticles and nice turrets and other strong features.

I have two ACOGs a 4x and a 1.5x. Again great scopes and nothing but a success for me.

Now I have three Leupolds. One of them cost me over 1000$, a vx6 1-6. It has a great reticle and excellent glass. But it came with a canted reticle and the turrets iare really low quality. I have another vx6 1-6 I picked it cheap on sale for 700$. The magnification adjustment is extremely extremely stiff. The ocular focus thing is rediculously easy to turn, like three times easier than the magnification. Same junky turrets obviously. This one has a not so great reticle. But the glass and eye box on both are quite nice. But seriously both come from the factory poorly assembled? Great they have a lifetime warranty, send it in and get it fixed, but come on what a pain in the aas. To me a scope that arrives properly assembled is of more value to me than the customer being the QC/QA and having to send it back. While less expensive, these scopes offer less value to the customer. My third leupold is a vxr 1.5-4. It came assembled properly. But 1.5 my aas. Compared to my 1.5x acog it’s very different. Either the acog is much closer to 1X or the vxr is closer to 2x, which is my guess. Again points here for the acog. It has the same chinsey turrets as the vx6. Lastly is durability. This scope and rifle took a tumble out of my side by side the other day into a grass field. The ocular end has a rubber ring attached, it is attached to a thin piece of aluminum. That aluminum bent. There was never a need for that rubber and the thin aluminum it was attached to. It just made a weak spot. Neither the acog or nightforce is assembled this way, no ether would have been damaged.

Cliffs; companies that have a great name/reputation and higher price offer a much better value in my experience.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by logan09 View Post
    I called, need to wait for a reply back as person I called was not clear about the issue I was describing.

Before I make a fool of myself does everyone understand what I'm talking about?

If the Rear Focal Ring/Diopter/Ocular(whatever you wish to call it) is NOT tightened all the way down you can shift it Left, Right, Up and down. While looking through the optic on a fixed target and applying finger pressure to the Ocular lens/diopter you can make the reticle move off target. The whole target doesn't move, just the reticle. This does not seem like it should be happening.
    Your description of the problem is perfectly clear and no, that is not right. Requiring the lock ring to make up for poor threads is not normal.

Andy

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    My experience with primary arms is this:

They make a great cheap rds. I would take theirs over vortex and hold them equal to holosun. That being said, i had 1 die on me. The warranty experience was good. I had another that always seemed too dim compared to my others. I sent it in and they told me it was in spec and they were going to send it back. I complained and they sent me a new one, which oddly enough seems too dim but its just for a plinker so i don't care.

I have not been happy with any of their magnified optics however. I have used there 2.5x,3x, and 5x prism scopes. There 1-6x&1-8x silver line scopes. There 4-14 and there 3-18x scopes, and their 1-8x platinum. Out of all of those, the platinum is the only one i would recommend, and for the price I think there are better options. I had one of their 1-6x go tits up on me.

I think Athlon makes a better budget freindly scope. I prefer to not go below a vortex pst quality level though. Anything below that level seems to end in headache.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast