Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primary Arms Warranty a big Disappointment. Update

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Primary Arms Warranty a big Disappointment. Update

Update: They agreed to send me a replacement scope. Hopefully all is well with the new one. I doubt I will be mounting it on my AR10 though. Already looking for a higher end one.

Over a month ago I built an AR10 in .308. I ended up taking my 5x ACSS off my AR15 that I had for some time without a single issue and mounted it on my AR10.

I sighted the rifle in with no issues. Well, around 75rnds total thru the gun I noticed random stringing and just bad grouping. Switching between 3 different kinds of ammo made no difference and I decided to move up to around 50yds to see if anything changed. No luck, yet I was able to get decent groups with my side mounted RMR. Pissed and not able to figure out the issue I went home.

Looking everything over at home I noticed the Rear Eyepiece Focus Ring was wobbly unless fully tightened down. I took the 5x off my gun and sure enough while looking through the eyepiece and moving it I could move the reticle(I'm assuming its etched to the glass on the eyepiece) I ended up clamping it to my table and sighting in on a target on my wall. I was able to move the reticle via the eyepiece up, down, left and right off the center of the target.

I emailed primary arms a couple days later. Got a very quick response, explained everything and made sure it was still under warranty. They sent me an RMR and I sent it in. Little over 2 weeks later I get this email.

They noted there is no mechanical issue that would affect it's functionality.Additionally, they are reporting that it is testing within the standards for the optic on the collimator (zeroing and adjustment) and in recoil testing (holding zero).
    Could NOT believe it. I'm assuming they didn't even look at the issue I described. The scope isn't losing zero, the eyepiece is shifting moving the reticle causing the point of aim/impact to be off. Either way they said they're sending it back. So, looks like I'll have to find the best focal point on it and red loctite the rear eyepiece and deal with it. I own lots of Primary Arms optics but this has changed my view of them.

I see they're a sponsor on here so hopefully my post doesnt magically disappear.
    Last edited by logan09; 07-14-20 at 20:57.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Sounds like you need to call and speak with someone and explain the issue verbally.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Agreed. A lot is lost in translation from email/text.

Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    Sounds like you need to call and speak with someone and explain the issue verbally.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    I am sure if you contact them and rely the info again they will take care of it. I have seen them replace/fix optics at no charge that were first gen stuff way out of warranty. Most have a lifetime now, not sure if the prisms do.

Marsh posts here and i am betting if he sees this it will be addressed. If not, email or call in directly for him.

Feedback Score
    Should have bought glass from a reputable manufacturer of known quality that has a history of making glass for hard recoiling rifles and hard use.

Got what you paid for.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Coal Dragger;2861131]Should have bought glass from a reputable manufacturer of known quality that has a history of making glass for hard recoiling rifles and hard use.

Got what you paid for.[/QUOT

Exactly. Buy cheap, buy twice
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 07-10-20 at 10:50.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    FWIW I had to send a $1200 scope back to its US-based maker twice to get a basic issue fixed. Bad warranty service is not that rare. In that case the company had a CS side of idiots just trying to close out tickets, and only with persistence did the scope eventually get to an actual tech, who identified the problem in 30 seconds and replaced the scope.

Had a completely unrelated military-focused $1100 optic go back to its different US maker once for a total failure of the adjustment mechanism. They denied a problem but the unmistakable problem was gone when the scope came back.

YMMV.

This is why companies like Nightforce stay in business. Sure, brand X seems to be the same for 1/3 the price, but NF (and some others) actually work out of the box, 99.99% of the time.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I called, need to wait for a reply back as person I called was not clear about the issue I was describing.

Before I make a fool of myself does everyone understand what I'm talking about?

If the Rear Focal Ring/Diopter/Ocular(whatever you wish to call it) is NOT tightened all the way down you can shift it Left, Right, Up and down. While looking through the optic on a fixed target and applying finger pressure to the Ocular lens/diopter you can make the reticle move off target. The whole target doesn't move, just the reticle. This does not seem like it should be happening.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Should have bought glass from a reputable manufacturer of known quality that has a history of making glass for hard recoiling rifles and hard use.

Got what you paid for.
    This.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Stuff like this makes me glad I dumped all the Primary Arms/Holosun optics that I had on nonessential guns and replaced them with non Chinese manufactured optics.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast