Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primary Arms Warranty a big Disappointment. Update

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Primary Arms Warranty a big Disappointment. Update

Update: They agreed to send me a replacement scope. Hopefully all is well with the new one. I doubt I will be mounting it on my AR10 though. Already looking for a higher end one.

Over a month ago I built an AR10 in .308. I ended up taking my 5x ACSS off my AR15 that I had for some time without a single issue and mounted it on my AR10.

I sighted the rifle in with no issues. Well, around 75rnds total thru the gun I noticed random stringing and just bad grouping. Switching between 3 different kinds of ammo made no difference and I decided to move up to around 50yds to see if anything changed. No luck, yet I was able to get decent groups with my side mounted RMR. Pissed and not able to figure out the issue I went home.

Looking everything over at home I noticed the Rear Eyepiece Focus Ring was wobbly unless fully tightened down. I took the 5x off my gun and sure enough while looking through the eyepiece and moving it I could move the reticle(I'm assuming its etched to the glass on the eyepiece) I ended up clamping it to my table and sighting in on a target on my wall. I was able to move the reticle via the eyepiece up, down, left and right off the center of the target.

I emailed primary arms a couple days later. Got a very quick response, explained everything and made sure it was still under warranty. They sent me an RMR and I sent it in. Little over 2 weeks later I get this email.

They noted there is no mechanical issue that would affect it's functionality.Additionally, they are reporting that it is testing within the standards for the optic on the collimator (zeroing and adjustment) and in recoil testing (holding zero).
    Could NOT believe it. I'm assuming they didn't even look at the issue I described. The scope isn't losing zero, the eyepiece is shifting moving the reticle causing the point of aim/impact to be off. Either way they said they're sending it back. So, looks like I'll have to find the best focal point on it and red loctite the rear eyepiece and deal with it. I own lots of Primary Arms optics but this has changed my view of them.

I see they're a sponsor on here so hopefully my post doesnt magically disappear.
    Last edited by logan09; 07-14-20 at 20:57.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Sounds like you need to call and speak with someone and explain the issue verbally.

Feedback Score
    Should have bought glass from a reputable manufacturer of known quality that has a history of making glass for hard recoiling rifles and hard use.

Got what you paid for.

Feedback Score
    That sucks man. I had been looking at getting an optic for my AR10 from them and I’m rethinking that now.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Agreed. A lot is lost in translation from email/text.

Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    Sounds like you need to call and speak with someone and explain the issue verbally.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    I am sure if you contact them and rely the info again they will take care of it. I have seen them replace/fix optics at no charge that were first gen stuff way out of warranty. Most have a lifetime now, not sure if the prisms do.

Marsh posts here and i am betting if he sees this it will be addressed. If not, email or call in directly for him.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Should have bought glass from a reputable manufacturer of known quality that has a history of making glass for hard recoiling rifles and hard use.

Got what you paid for.
    This.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    This.
    That ^

Cheapo Red Dots are one thing for beater guns. But when it comes to magnified glass, it's just not worth it to go primary arms.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That ^

Cheapo Red Dots are one thing for beater guns. But when it comes to magnified glass, it's just not worth it to go primary arms.
    Agreed.

There’s a lot that goes into a scope that tracks right and doesn’t fall apart. I am fortunate enough that my time is more valuable to me than my money, and even if PA did correct the issue I’d still have to reinstall and level the scope, go rezero the weapon and still I would never fully trust it. This would mean bringing a backup rifle if I was doing a gas gun PRS match or something. What a headache.

One doesn’t even need to go stupid like NF or S&B. Higher tier Vortex’s aren’t even that expensive, and you can buy used ACOGs for only $200 more than that thing costs.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 07-10-20 at 08:48.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^ No shit.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast