Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer Jihad!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Deer Jihad!!!

Grrrr....$7200 / 2 weeks and counting, probably another $1500 once the exterior stuff is pulled away.

Wife gave green light to joining the Deer Management Society and I am looking for advice on recommended gear. 5.56 hunting in Virginia is a no-go for these pests, so I need a bigger caliber. I have a Leopold MR/T 1.5 x 5 SPR on the way for my Noveske N4 FSR (thanks for the tire-kicking, GotM4!) which would be useful for expected ranges (max 300 yds), although a dedicated deer scope isn't out of the question.

I saw the 6.8 vs 308 thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=22312)

My initial thought was a 6.5 Grendel upper, however, skimming these threads, its pretty clear that there are a lot of choices. Would a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 (~$600) be a better choice for annual outings?

Thanks for the advice and Happy Thanksgiving to all,
    Pk

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Deleted.
    Last edited by NoBody; 05-04-09 at 05:58.

Feedback Score
    I'm in danger of becoming known as the "Pawn Shop Guy", but you can find Rem 700 Youth/or Model Seven in .243/.308/7-08/'06 pretty cheap around here. In the 700 youth gun you get matte finish, 20-in bbl, 13-in LOP syn. stock. You can dicker them under $300 usually.

Put that 1.5-5x Leupold on one and inside 300 yards any deer you shoot will die thinking it was shot with a AI/AW.

If you want CRF, look for a Ruger 77 Mark II

IMHO a Remington 700/Seven/Ruger 77 in any .308-based round with a 4X or low-powered variable is a "McRifle" that can handle just about any chore (thru elk, & including human defense) except thick skinned dangerous game.

We've got a Ruger 77 Compact (16-in. LW bbl) stainless/laminate in .260 Remington that is death on a cracker for deer and coyotes with 120 gr. BTs.
    Last edited by Dan Goodwin; 11-27-08 at 10:03.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " _ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBody View Post
    I'm glad to see no body was hurt in the accident (well, not counting the deer). You were very fortunate!
    Have to agree - had just dropped off daughter to a birthday party and was heading home (after a 2 week out of town det) - country road, open field on right with a 4' fence - didn't see it leap into the road until the last second, 45 mph vs a 200 lb doe - died instantly - another 2' left and it would have been in the driver's compartment.

I did get lucky, however, percentage chance of it happening are going up. Population is out of control. Insurance adjuster had 7 in last two days and interestingly, half of them had deer whistles.

Time to get pro-active.

Pk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Goodwin View Post
    I'm in danger of becoming known as the "Pawn Shop Guy", but you can find Rem 700 Youth/or Model Seven in .243/.308/7-08/'06 pretty cheap around here. In the 700 youth gun you get matte finish, 20-in bbl, 13-in LOP syn. stock. You can dicker them under $300 usually.

Put that 1.5-5x Leupold on one and inside 300 yards any deer you shoot will die thinking it was shot with a AI/AW.

If you want CRF, look for a Ruger 77 Mark II

IMHO a Remington 700/Seven/Ruger 77 in any .308-based round with a 4X or low-powered variable is a "McRifle" that can handle just about any chore (thru elk, & including human defense) except thick skinned dangerous game.

We've got a Ruger 77 Compact (16-in. LW bbl) stainless/laminate in .260 Remington that is death on a cracker for deer and coyotes with 120 gr. BTs.
    Thanks, Dan - my Black Friday will probably start at VA Arms to see what they've got -

Cheers,
    Pk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    They dont call these the Model 37 Deer Slayers for nothing...

Attachment 1603

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Again, glad no one was hurt.

What part of VA are you in?

Pretty much anything east of I 95 is shotgun only, west is usually open to rifles.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    I'm just glad you guys are ok!

If rifles are legal to take deer with then realistically about your best choice is a bolt action rifle. By the time you get though the waiting lists for a 6.8 SPC upper it could be mid summer. If you have $500 for a rifle and $200 for a scope it's hard to beat a Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06 sporting a Nikon Team Primos scope. The Tikka is extremely accurate (sub MOA), very light weight (6.3lbs), handles like a dream, and has a great trigger. The Team Primos is a rebadged Nikon Monarch UCC - an excellent scope.

If money is too tight for the Tikka/Nikon setup then look at a Howa/Hogue/Nikko-Stirling bundle for about $520ish. Howas are heavy but rock solid and accurate, and the Nikko-Stirling they come with is about equal to a Bushnell Banner. Good enough to get you a few deer before you upgrade the optics. If you have kids they make a youth model with both youth and adult size stocks and a shortened barrel for about $50 more.
    Last edited by sholling; 11-27-08 at 10:56.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Again, glad no one was hurt.

What part of VA are you in?

Pretty much anything east of I 95 is shotgun only, west is usually open to rifles.
    West of Manassas - I have a Mossy 590 Mariner 9 shot with a SF forearm, GRS, and a Knoxx stock - I'd have no issues using it out to 100 yds the way it is currently set up with Ranger 1 oz. slugs (have to get a dowel in the mag tube to get to 4 round capacity).

Since I don't have a hunting rifle yet, a free chit from the wife had me looking towards a rifle. I like the idea of a larger round in an AR-15 compatible upper, however, even after adding a pic rail length to a 700 SPS Tactical in order to bolt on the MR/T 1.5 x 5 would set me back around $650 instead of ~ $1000 for a good AA upper in 6.5 Grendel or a similar 6.8 SPC.

Thanks for the suggestion, Sholling - I'll look into the Tikka T3 as well.

Cheers,
    Pk

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pk14 View Post
    West of Manassas - I have a Mossy 590 Mariner 9 shot with a SF forearm, GRS, and a Knoxx stock - I'd have no issues using it out to 100 yds the way it is currently set up with Ranger 1 oz. slugs (have to get a dowel in the mag tube to get to 4 round capacity).

Since I don't have a hunting rifle yet, a free chit from the wife had me looking towards a rifle. I like the idea of a larger round in an AR-15 compatible upper, however, even after adding a pic rail length to a 700 SPS Tactical in order to bolt on the MR/T 1.5 x 5 would set me back around $650 instead of ~ $1000 for a good AA upper in 6.5 Grendel or a similar 6.8 SPC.

Thanks for the suggestion, Sholling - I'll look into the Tikka T3 as well.

Cheers,
    Pk
    Pk,
    VA now only requires a plug in a shotgun if you're hunting migratory game birds...
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast