Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer Jihad!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the heads up, Robb - even better! See you tomorrow at the shop if you're in.

I've got some more reading to do on the local hunting rules...

Feedback Score
    Neighbor of mine who has been hunting deer with rifles in WVA for as long as I can recall, loves .257 Roberts with a good controlled expansion bullet. His is a Model 7 with a 2-7 burris on it. Another runs almost the same setup, but in .308 shooting 150 gr Ballistic tips and a 3-9 Leupy.

If you are in a shotgun only area, and the laws are close to what Ohio's are, go with a fully rifled 870 Rem or 500/590 Mossy and see if the Hornady sabot slugs will shoot well out of it. Two friends run 11/87s with those slugs and have taken deer out past 150. 300 gr bullet @2000fps is a respectable Bambi whomper.
    https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...e3d35d6bc0ec9e

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Bell View Post
    Neighbor of mine who has been hunting deer with rifles in WVA for as long as I can recall, loves .257 Roberts with a good controlled expansion bullet. His is a Model 7 with a 2-7 burris on it. Another runs almost the same setup, but in .308 shooting 150 gr Ballistic tips and a 3-9 Leupy.

If you are in a shotgun only area, and the laws are close to what Ohio's are, go with a fully rifled 870 Rem or 500/590 Mossy and see if the Hornady sabot slugs will shoot well out of it. Two friends run 11/87s with those slugs and have taken deer out past 150. 300 gr bullet @2000fps is a respectable Bambi whomper.
    https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...e3d35d6bc0ec9e
    +1 on the Remington 870 with Hornady slugs. Make sure you get the 870 with the cantilever scope mount and a rifled barrel. Top it off with a $100 scope and you have a great deer "rifle".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Exclamation

in my neck of the woods ('bout an hour outside of NYC), we don't call it "deer hunting."

we prefer to call it "saving BMW's" (or Volvos ).

seriously, glad to see no injuries.

as an aside, we have a generous season that starts early in September and ends in January. and in certain zones we are encouraged to use bait (!). and, even if we fill up our five tag limit, we get issued bonus doe tags at the weigh-in stations!
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not to talk you out of an ass-kicking 6.8spc or other AR, I have used a Rem 700 in .308 for years to hunt deer and it has been fantastic. I would whole heartedly endorse one! Good luck in your erradication mission!

-RD62

Feedback Score
    If you have your heart set on a 6.8 SPC upper it will certainly get the job done.
    My Muley this year field dressed at 263 pounds, 6.8 110gr SMK floored his ass. My Dad whacked his buck with a 7mm Rem mag and floored him but he was still alive and we had a good walk over to him so i put a 6.8 through his skull to put him out of his misery.

Nothing wrong with a good bolt gun though.

My Buck, (pic was taken back at the ranch after the guns were put up, dont want to get anyones "Ethical/drinking while hunting" panties in a bunch)

Dads Buck

Feedback Score
    Forgot to add, after driving through a herd of around 60 Elk @70mph(no time to slow/stop)missing 2 bull moose/2 Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep and more deer than i can count i got rid of my Jeep Wrangler and got my Dodge properly setup, i laugh at deer now

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 03humpalot View Post
    My Buck, (pic was taken back at the ranch after the guns were put up, dont want to get anyones "Ethical/drinking while hunting" panties in a bunch)
    not mine. hunting without liquor is like ****ing without poon

Feedback Score

ha...

...nice one... You might try puttin a couple of those deer whistles on yer' vehicle...They're cheap, who knows, can't really hurt...unless you whistle the wrong tune...;(
    Driving through Wyoming and Montana at night, you can see splotches of pink mist all up and down the road...The trucks based there all have cow-catchers on the front to prevent down-time...
    There are literally herds of animals on the roads at night. Especially after they salt the roads.
    ...there's so many friggin' pest deer around here it drives me nuts...They crap all over the place, rattle their horns up and down the side of the house, and camp out in the yard like a buncha' damn cows...It's ridiculous...I'm hopin' one will slip down on the ice in front of me and I'll have to put him out of his misery...
    LOL...just saw a blurb on local news about someone a few blocks southwest of me that tried to do one with a bow...He missed the sweet spot and the damn thing walked around the neighborhood bleedin' to death.
    Now the crimestoppers and DOW are advertising for citizens to come forward and provide information on anyone with a suspicious bow or haystacks in the back yard...
    Just a warm-up...wait'll a gun is involved...The phone lines will melt...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Glad all are OK.

There are deer all over our neighborhood. Frustrating to go to the ranch hunting, see barely a thing, come home to the hood and see over 20 deer from the time I leave I10 until I reach my house. I've heard that the little deer whistles work well and they are cheap and very unobtrusive depending on where you shose to mount them. I wont mount them to my jeep because I drive it out at the ranch and don't want to scare the deer off there.

Quote Originally Posted by 03humpalot View Post
    If you have your heart set on a 6.8 SPC upper it will certainly get the job done.
    My Muley this year field dressed at 263 pounds, 6.8 110gr SMK floored his ass. My Dad whacked his buck with a 7mm Rem mag and floored him but he was still alive and we had a good walk over to him so i put a 6.8 through his skull to put him out of his misery.

Nothing wrong with a good bolt gun though.

Dads Buck
    Where ya'll at? I LOVE hunting for Mule deer? Was on a lease in west Texas for a LONG time and we lost it 4 years ago. I can't aford anything we've found since, unfortunately. Really hard to pay over $1k per gun when the majority would not even take a buck. I for one wont shoot a buck (white tail or muley) unless I feel it's shoulder mount quality.

Anyway looks like it was a good time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast