Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Nearly Arrested Yesterday - Mask issue

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stahljaeger View Post
    I moved to several irrigated acres in the valley south of Albuquerque last year back near to where I grew up. I have been really glad to be out of Albuquerque especially with the lockdowns. Seeing hot air balloons in the morning is about the only thing I miss.

I grew up as the minority as a white kid in Los Lunas NM, other than getting called gringo, honkey , cracker, s**tkicker, and stupid white boy it was really only an issue in middle school, where everybody from the coach on down made it pretty clear that white boys weren’t allowed on “their” wrestling team.

It was an issue in HS, maybe it was really just the coach or the worst boys were part of the 70% of my class that dropped out.

I do love it here, it has absolutely amazing wilderness, and is still mostly empty of people outside of a couple of midsize cites
    You must be closer to Isleta Pueblo or further south. I have some ranching family connections south of Mountainair to the southeast from you. Never had those issues growing up here in NE New Mexico. You have the Mexicans, then old Spanish families who still have accents, then you have ones like mine with old Spanish surnames and 12 generations here, but our accent is closer to West Texas but with no twang. We're white folks with Spanish history.

Just to give you an idea, here is a picture of my paternal great-grandmother taken in Las Vegas, NM @ 1875. She was in her mid 20's at the time. A tall gal @ 5' 11'. She kind of demonstrates a certain elegance and dignity being part of one of New Mexico's first families. She married my great-grandfather that same year. Her maiden name was Maria Magdalena Cabeza de Vaca, a descendant of the family of Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca (1490-1559). Maria was fluent in Spanish, English and French, plus she could read Latin. She died in 1932.

Last edited by OH58D; 07-11-20 at 00:59.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    If only we didn't have all these cameras now days...
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Some great history about your family OH58. Sorry about that LEO incident. Times are tough.

Feedback Score
    good article
    : because democratic government soon proceeded to destroy that very equality before the law from which it derived its justification. The Greeks fully understood that the two concepts, although related, did not mean the same thing. Thucydides speaks without hesitation of an "isonomic oligarchy," and later we find isonomia used by Plato quite deliberately in contrast to, rather than in vindication of, democracy.

so guess we can say this is nothing new in many ways just another time in history and its a human thing of a fallen world

Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Like this:

https://mises.org/library/decline-rule-law

I had never heard the word "Isonomia" before even though I and several others here have advocated for it.

Feedback Score
    A few days ago, I walked into my local hardware store (part of ACE chain, not a "big box"), and had forgotten my mask in my truck. Law in this county in FL is "Wear mask inside in public." The lady by the checkout said, "Sir, I need you to wear a mask." She handed me a fresh mask from the supply they kept on the counter. I said, "Thank you," put it on, and went about my business.

No, a mask doesn't protect me, but it protects others from me and my droplets, which can be a problem as I have dentures which are loosening.
    Last edited by REDinFL; 07-11-20 at 08:09. Reason: typo
    Hurrah for The Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    good article

so guess we can say this is nothing new in many ways just another time in history and its a human thing of a fallen world
    And there was this in the article as well:

"How much all this meant to the Athenians is shown by the account given by Demosthenes of a law introduced by an Athenian under which "it should not be lawful to propose a law affecting any one individual, unless the same applied to all Athenians," because he was of the opinion that, "as every citizen has an equal share in civil rights, so everybody should have an equal share in the laws." Although, like Aristotle, Demosthenes no longer uses the term isonomia, the statement is little more than a paraphrase of the old concept."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    You must be closer to Isleta Pueblo or further south. I have some ranching family connections south of Mountainair to the southeast from you. Never had those issues growing up here in NE New Mexico. You have the Mexicans, then old Spanish families who still have accents, then you have ones like mine with old Spanish surnames and 12 generations here, but our accent is closer to West Texas but with no twang. We're white folks with Spanish history.

Just to give you an idea, here is a picture of my paternal great-grandmother taken in Las Vegas, NM @ 1875. She was in her mid 20's at the time. A tall gal @ 5' 11'. She kind of demonstrates a certain elegance and dignity being part of one of New Mexico's first families. She married my great-grandfather that same year. Her maiden name was Maria Magdalena Cabeza de Vaca, a descendant of the family of Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca (1490-1559). Maria was fluent in Spanish, English and French, plus she could read Latin. She died in 1932.

I am south of Isleta in Belen, my great-grandfather had a ranch on what is now part of the Isleta reservation. He lost it when the price of beef crashed after World War I, not long after his wife died from the Spanish Flu when my grandma was a baby. He spent a lot of his life working as a cowboy all over New Mexico and southern Colorado, so he might have worked for your family at some point

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by REDinFL View Post
    A few days ago, I walked into my local hardware store (part of ACE chain, not a "big box"), and had forgotten my mask in my truck. Law in this county in FL is "Wear mask inside in public." The lady by the checkout said, "Sir, I need you to wear a mask." She handed me a fresh mask from the supply they kept on the counter. I said, "Thank you," put it on, and went about my business.

No, a mask doesn't protect me, but it protects others from me and my droplets, which can be a problem as I have dentures which are loosening.
    Why can't we all just act/think like this and not make it a hill to die on? All the crap going on in the country and this is the issue that pits freedom against societal responsibility?

I spent the better part of yesterday helping a friend swap a transmission in the auto craft center on base. It was 90+ degrees and we were required to wear masks to work in the same bay because we don't live in the same house and my buddy vehemently denied my story that we are lovers. The level of suck approached the "MOPP 4 runs" we used to do, but it didn't kill me.

Andy

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Why can't we all just act/think like this and not make it a hill to die on? All the crap going on in the country and this is the issue that pits freedom against societal responsibility?

I spent the better part of yesterday helping a friend swap a transmission in the auto craft center on base. It was 90+ degrees and we were required to wear masks to work in the same bay because we don't live in the same house and my buddy vehemently denied my story that we are lovers. The level of suck approached the "MOPP 4 runs" we used to do, but it didn't kill me.

Andy
    For one it’s all these stupid hills that never cease to stop popping up as time goes on.

Moreover when all the BS started it was all hands on deck, stay in your homes, WE HAVE GOT TO FLATTEN THE CURVE... but you don’t need masks because only medical professionals need them, just social distance. That didn’t work because it wasn’t going to. And then came lockdowns, a trashed economy, ruined lives and livelihoods, etc. BLM took off and now that drama has slowed so Covid is back on top of the headlines. It’s gone from give us a couple weeks to slow things to wear a mask or go to jail.

Wear a mask if you want to, don’t if you want to. It’s not going to make a difference because we’re getting played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    Inhaled budesonide is shown to have success as well...one member's 82yr old Dad was just admitted today & family is going to report back. If you buy a nebulizer & can get a dr buddy to write a script you can likely heal yourself for $200 mas/menos.

https://youtu.be/eDSDdwN2Xcg

Nobody in relative good health should be concerned with the hype of C19 with all the 411 out there...It is my hope as the remedies go mainstream, the whole money making vaccine house of cards starts to crumble.
    Not sure anybody takes time to watch these videos or not but this one Artos posted is worth your time.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast