Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reading pressure in flattened primers?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If 2400 is showing pressure go to h110 or lilgun

Feedback Score
    Yeah, but I already had 2400, and I'm hesitant to bother with different powders.

Also, I hardly crimped those first rounds at all, so much so that they were a bit hard to chamber. Maybe I'll get a bit more mv out of them with a bit of crimp (to 0.421" or so).

I'm going to chrono some more this week...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I just happened to be skimming the Ramshot loading data for the 90 gr Atips we're going to mess with, and in the beginning of their pdf, they show a 45 ACP case that was lab fired at like 32k psi.... WAY over max, and the primer looked fine.

Rifle primers tend to read better than pistol.
    I can confirm that this is the case.

One of my reloading projects a few years ago was using .45 ACP brass in my Freedom Arms M83 spare cylinder. I can positively confirm that primers are not a good indicator of pressure in a pistol. I will not even admit what the loads were, suffice to say they were well into .460 Rowland data but in a .45 ACP case. Primers looked fine, brass wasn’t sticking in the chambers, and no split cases. Remarkably accurate too.

However owning 2 auto pistols in .45 ACP that would be disassembled in short order by those loads I shot them all and haven’t dabbled in that since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12