Thread: Open Vs. Closed Emitter on MRDS

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Open Vs. Closed Emitter on MRDS

I'm mostly interested in seeing responses on this in regards to an offset or piggyback RD on a rifle, but we can also discuss which one and why for handgun optics as well.

The two I'm considering is the Holosun 507C/508T for open emitter design and Holosun 509T for closed emitter.

My thoughts are that closed emitter would be preferred for an offset/piggyback dot on a rifle, but until the ACRO came out and now the 509T, everyone was using an RMR in that role and I can't say I've seen any reports of guys losing their dots due to environmental factors (dust, dirt, water, ect) where a closed emitter would have prevented that.

For a handgun, especially one being carried concealed, I don't see a problem with going open emitter.

The other pro to going with the 507C/508T (for me) is that I would have interchangeability if one optic goes down between a carry handgun and the rifle.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    I plan on putting a Holosun 508 V2 RD (open emitter) on my Buckmark .22 plinker, and I *might* get a Holosun 509T (closed emitter) to use with an Arisaka offset mount as a backup to my LPV, when they become available. If the MRDS works out for me on my Buckmark, and depending on what new closed emitter MRDS’s come out next year, I *might* get a 509T for my G19. All things being equal, I would prefer to have a closed emitter on my self defense firearms.
    Last edited by Biggy; 07-19-20 at 10:00.