Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New M4A1 Barrel patented by US Army Armaments Center

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    It creates the most surface area.
    Yes, but at the highest expense of rigidity compared to about any other fluting pattern as far as I can tell.

This all trends back to me wondering why? We already hav lightweight barrels that shed heat quickly and are easier to hump. Which matches the intent of the platform. We already have heavy barrels for wanna be SAW use, which makes everyone happy about another FOB being overrun and m4s is all they got.

I don't see how rotini does either well or both well enough to be considered a good compromise.

I want to see the testing that lead to rotini.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    Yes, but at the highest expense of rigidity compared to about any other fluting pattern as far as I can tell.

This all trends back to me wondering why? We already hav lightweight barrels that shed heat quickly and are easier to hump. Which matches the intent of the platform. We already have heavy barrels for wanna be SAW use, which makes everyone happy about another FOB being overrun and m4s is all they got.

I don't see how rotini does either well or both well enough to be considered a good compromise.

I want to see the testing that lead to rotini.
    Cooling, theoretically, requires more surface area. A fluted heavy barrel is more rigid than a LW barrel. They are trying to come up with the right formula, and you have to applaud that, though I’m not sure this is the right solution.

At the end of the day, a radiator is shaped as it is for a reason and isn’t a solid chunk of aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    LWRC ftw lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    Cooling, theoretically, requires more surface area. A fluted heavy barrel is more rigid than a LW barrel. They are trying to come up with the right formula, and you have to applaud that, though I’m not sure this is the right solution.

At the end of the day, a radiator is shaped as it is for a reason and isn’t a solid chunk of aluminum.
    We're just talking around each other at this point. Have a nice day.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    But he answered your questions.

"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    PracticalRifleman is 100% correct. I dont think you are understanding the physics behind what he is talking about. Lightweight barrels handle heat poorly and contrary to popular belief does not dump heat as efficiently as thicker barrels which goes back to the surface area issue.

Theres a reason why radiated barrels were found only on machine guns since WWI.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 07-11-20 at 00:49.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I never once claimed that fluting did not assist in heat dissipation.

As a matter of fact, I named a number of other fluting profiles that would aid in heat dissipation while (seemingly, at face value at least) retaining rigidy.

I further addressed heat dissipation via referring to the original profile, which is great for heat dissipation, but sucks for heat absorbtion, especially when pretending to be a SAW, as well as the thicker a1/socom profile, which is great for heat absorbtion, better facilitating impromptu SAW duty.

Skinny gets hotter sooner, loses rigidity sooner and groups open up, thicker takes longer to heat up, therefore retains rigidity longer before getting to the point of groups opening up. Simple.

And, somehow I wasn't clear earlier, yes, flutes help a barrel lose weight and provide more surface area for heat dissipation.

But they should also help retain rigidity. I do not see how sprial fluting retains rigidity. Again, diamond pattern, golf ball dimples, hell even hexagons, I could understand, but not rotini. ETA: Not to mention plain old straight fluting.

That's why I want to see the accuracy testing of this barrel after a couple magazines, as I originally asked. That's why I want to know exactly what was wrong with the thicker a1/socom profile, as I originally asked.
    That's why I want to see a head to head comparison of rotini vs a1/socom.

Eta: How many rounds can rotini sustain fire for before failure compared to the original skinny barrel as well as the a1/socom profiles?

The m16/m4 is not supposed to be a SAW. It only offers a limited capability to mimic such. The fact that the original barrels performed as well as they did being pressed to do what they did at wannat is actually a testament to how good the platform is. Replace the toasted parts and drive on.
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 07-10-20 at 23:24.

Feedback Score
    If the barrel overheating is a serious issue (and I don't think it is) then the three things that need to be done are:

Buy a CHF barrel with an appropriate contour, like the N4.
    Use a free floating rail to draw heat off the barrel and promote cooling.
    Slow down the cyclic rate of fire using an A5 buffer, SureFire carrier or something similar.

Using a much heavier barrel is completely unnecessary.

If we design the rifles to be used as automatic rifles then we need to remove the SAW from the MTOE, at least in support units, to pay for it.

A SAW can buy three SR-15s or similar high end rifles.
    Last edited by SethB; 07-10-20 at 23:56.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This is what happens when you let the gays in the military.

I think its trans...

Feedback Score
    Or just buy M27's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast