Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 10.3 DD with A5 system

Feedback Score
    Ok! This is what happened. I had the issue with the built and I was all over the place as to figuring out what was going on. So much that some people here gave me some grief... but that’s ok, I’m learning. I contacted BCM (the BCG is a BCM). I contacted them before figuring out how to check for a leaky gas key. They said I had to install the O ring that should have come with my BCG BC I have a built shorter that 14.5.
    In the meantime I thought about how to check for a gas leak in the gas key (described above in the thread). When I determined it was leaky I posted my finding here asking if that was enough to create a malfunction. The answer is yes. I contacted BCM again, and they said to install the O ring first and try. If the problem persists to send it back. So, now I have to follow procedures in order to comply with BCM. I understand their position, and I totally agree with you about changing the BCG. I have another spare BCG. I do want to get a new BCG from BCM or if they could fix it, so I need to follow their steps. I should have waited before contacting but this is where I am. Thank you for your advice though... it’s on point!
    Last edited by elpotro; 07-16-20 at 18:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Jump straight to the BCG Swap, it's easier. Pop 'n' Drop as opposed to tearing the whole URG apart to swap a gas tube. Easier steps first, more difficult as escalations after.

EDIT: Belay that, check the key screws and if it's properly cinched-down and staked and STILL leaking then swap the BCG's.
    I did check the screws and it is solid. I did that at the very beginning and it was so solid I didn’t think it could still leak. MistWolf was the one who pointed that the gas key can be tight on the screws and still leak.

Feedback Score
    I am so glad to tell you that my 10.3 DD is working Flawlessly. I did get the "O" ring from BCM. I installed it per their instructions. I saved my sprincos for my other BCG and have spares. The extraction was fine but it still ran like a bolt gun. I kept BCM in the loop and they asked me to send it back. In the meantime I tried another BCG (one that I knew it worked). It did not work consistently. I went ahead and changed the gas tube and BOOM! it worked perfectly. I did the one round mag test with different mags and it locked as it should, and then I shot 100 rounds at different paces and it worked without a hiccup.

I wanted to thank all of you for your input and guidance. I did learn a lot! I read many articles, books and videos about the gas system and the potential issues and solutions. I am truly thankful for your time and knowledge.

Sincerely,

Peter

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Glad you got your gun running. Your apprenticeship is well on its way.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Can you tell what was wrong with the defective gas tube? Compared to a new one, something in it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MStarmer View Post
    Can you tell what was wrong with the defective gas tube? Compared to a new one, something in it?
    I cannot tell by visual inspection. I do not have the tools to gauge or check a gas tube. All I knew is that it was a malfunction associated with the gas system. Once I replaced the BCG it was still showing symptoms of under gas, so I proceeded to change one thing at a time. MistWolf had already warned me to be ready for more than one issue.

Feedback Score
    Rifle length spring in a carbine RE?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffe8520 View Post
    Rifle length spring in a carbine RE?
    No sir, it is an A5 System.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567