Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aiming night vision and LPVO

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    They make Surefire Vampires for a reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He could certainly do that.

I have them on a few guns. But they are anything but stealth. Everything explodes in IR light with one. With the illuminator it keeps the beam focused to a much smaller area. I also find the illuminator does not reflect back at you as much either. He wants to be super stealthy I’m giving my two cents on achieving that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Use a laser. Only turn the laser on momentarily when shooting. Laser discipline.

I get what you want, and it’s not a bad idea, but either way if you’re serious about using it at night a laser is mandatory.

Even an eotech is not that easy to use with nods. Getting a site picture is easy enough, but if there is not enough ambient light you won’t be able to see the target and will need an IR illuminator. Again with the Illuminator you’ll need to employee laser discipline. So either way you need a peq15 or a mawl.

If you’re dead serious about a super sneaky gun at night you should set up a dedicated night-fighter gun with an eotech and laser/illuminator.

Got it. I’ll probably set a more night/cqb oriented rifle in the future right now I’m focusing on making my one rifle a good all around rifle.

Feedback Score
    maybe i was doing it wrong, but over the years i've tried all sorts of stuff for aiming carbines with nv. at one time i had a fancy mount behind an aimpoint that let me QD my 14s and move them from head to gun quickly. i didn't care for it at all, and removed it from the gun when i went to binos on my hat. i still have some less fancy ones that i have for loaner guns, but i hate them.

i despise even more trying to align nods on my head to a red dot on NV settings on a rifle. it feels kludgy just plinking on a single target slow fire. trying to run a uspsa style drill that way is full on simian fornicating pigskin mode.

i absolutely love the IR laser.

in context of civilians doing 2A stuff in a non-permissive environment, i'd offer that the laser on LOW POWER is still pretty stealthy afaik, especially if you are only using it momentarily to shoot. on my super quiet 9mm, i just use the laser. on my GP carbine with LPVO, i think the peq is hard to beat, but for your "passive" aiming, i'd say the right way to do it is a clip on pvs22 or CNVD. That way you've got up to 4x mag with your LPVO, so you're range is extended, which i think is probably what you'd want if you're that concerned about your laser giving away your location, and you're not emitting anything but lead and copper.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The practicality of what you’re trying to do really depends on engagement distances. For CQB it’s moot as a near peer type threat will clearly see you and your NODS will glow at 50-100m and in when viewed through their NODS. On a large battlefield type scenario then sure; the concern is valid though. Just my $0.02.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123