Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aiming night vision and LPVO

Feedback Score

Aiming night vision and LPVO

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this.

So as a pure hypothetical, I’m building a do-all 14.5 carbine. One of the qualities is that it is capable to use at night. However, I plan on sticking an lpvo on top for the main optic, which is gonna be hard to passively aim through. Although I can just use a peq or DBAL, I’m concerned about situations where the other side has night vision too (as the tech for even crappy ones becomes more and more commonly owned). So is there a way I can passively aim so I can reduce possible detection with an LPVO? Is a piggyback RMR on the LPVO a good idea for this purpose? Or should I just scrap that and just practice good light/laser discipline with the DBAL/PEQ like I would with a white light?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    This is beyond my experience, but there was some good discussion on the topic earlier this year in this stickied thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...rbine)-Reality
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballo View Post
    I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this.

So as a pure hypothetical, I’m building a do-all 14.5 carbine. One of the qualities is that it is capable to use at night. However, I plan on sticking an lpvo on top for the main optic, which is gonna be hard to passively aim through. Although I can just use a peq or DBAL, I’m concerned about situations where the other side has night vision too (as the tech for even crappy ones becomes more and more commonly owned). So is there a way I can passively aim so I can reduce possible detection with an LPVO? Is a piggyback RMR on the LPVO a good idea for this purpose? Or should I just scrap that and just practice good light/laser discipline with the DBAL/PEQ like I would with a white light?
    You wont get enough light transmission with an LPVO to use with night vision. Your best bet is to mount a NV capable red dot on top of the LPVO.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    What are you running for a NVG? I cant imagine how first you can get behind a LPVO and still maintain any sort of shoulder/cheek weld. Additionally not crashing into the LPVO while it would be mounted somewhere on the optic.
    Which LPVO with NV settings are you using?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    No it’s not going to work.

Piggy back an RDS somewhere if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Just mount an IR laser. Done and done.

Feedback Score
    So it is possible but I think it’s going to depend on your nods and LPVO. I got a 1-8 VCOG for work and with 31’s you can aim through it. I got a buddy that bought the same optic like 6 months ago and he’s been running it and when he said it’s doable I bought one. It’s not as easy as doing it with an Eotech. You need to roll the rifle into your nod. But if you’re using a PVS 14 I have no idea, I’ve ran a PVS 14 and an aimpoint. If you run the PVS over your non dominant eye you can passively aim that way. I will say having a higher mount will make it easier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    What are you running for a NVG? I cant imagine how first you can get behind a LPVO and still maintain any sort of shoulder/cheek weld. Additionally not crashing into the LPVO while it would be mounted somewhere on the optic.
    Which LPVO with NV settings are you using?
    Razor 1-6. I don’t think it’ll be usable with binos, which is why I’m looking for lookarounds to be able to passively aim, probably options to mount a red dot somewhere high.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballo View Post
    Razor 1-6. I don’t think it’ll be usable with binos, which is why I’m looking for lookarounds to be able to passively aim, probably options to mount a red dot somewhere high.
    I have a Razor. It’s not doable. I played with a RMR at 12 o’clock for a bit in a reptilia for my geissele Mount. It works but is a little wonky with the 1.93 height. 1.5 or 1.7 would work a little better. Larue has their 130 half ring mount as well.

Doing it again I’d prefer a aimpoint t1/t2 over the RMR.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    Just mount an IR laser. Done and done.

This, simply.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast