Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fix my brother's AR - Final Update in Last Post

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Fix my brother's AR - Final Update in Last Post

About 2005, my SIL bought my brother an AR for either his birthday or their anniversary. Unfortunately, the person who she trusted to help her in this venture didn't tell her to buy a 16" Colt Sporter, he "built" a gun for my brother.

We shot it for the first time when I was home on leave and it had some issues and he never shot it again. I have learned a lot more about ARs since then and would like to at least fix the problems with it in a month or so when I go home on vacation and leave him with a safe, functional gun. I won't modernize it, just fix it. It is a 16" pencil barrel with a fixed carry handle upper.

I'm working from memory, but the problems I remember and the plans I have to fix are:

* Trigger did not reset correctly, (unsafe and evidence the "builder" didn't perform a function test) - probably a burr on the disconnector, but I will bring a quality FCG and swap out
    * Ridiculously loud muzzle brake, it was painful to shoot or be around with earplugs - I will bring an A1 or A2 FH or an extra BCM Mod 0 comp I have in the parts drawer and replace

Issues I assume exist and planned solutions:
    * Poor assembly techniques/QC - I will bring tools to dis/re-assemble correctly
    * Poor or obsolete components - will replace ejector, spring and any required small parts
    * Headspace - I don't trust the builder. Not sure what I can really do to correct it, besides bringing the spare bolt or two I have
    * Buffer - will replace with H1 and mil-spec spring

I'm considering but not sure if I will install a BRT EZTUNE gas tube and eliminate the unknown. I may also replace his entire BCG for the same reason.

My brother is a good dude, rancher, brand inspector, a police officer/deputy for over 25 years and has rolled with some heavy punches life has thrown without wavering from his family or faith. I think he deserves a decent AR for his truck/4 wheeler.

Comments and suggestions are welcome, as always.

Andy

P.S. If sentimentality was not a consideration, I would just swap the spare PSA Freedom midlength I have for his carbine and be done with it.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-16-21 at 17:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    P.S. If sentimentality was not a consideration, I would just swap the spare PSA Freedom midlength I have for his carbine and be done with it.
    Andy,
    First off - and probably most importantly, I understand the sentimental part of this equation. Have you thought about maybe going in with your SIL on something new/complete and presumably trouble free?

I recently did the same thing with my dad for his self defense handgun. After careful consideration, he stated that the sentimental value would simply be transferred to the new (better suited) gun.

Just a thought. - I commend you for wanting to help out. Good luck.

- Chris

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4t5acp@gmail.com View Post
    Andy,
    First off - and probably most importantly, I understand the sentimental part of this equation. Have you thought about maybe going in with your SIL on something new/complete and presumably trouble free?

I recently did the same thing with my dad for his self defense handgun. After careful consideration, he stated that the sentimental value would simply be transferred to the new (better suited) gun.

Just a thought. - I commend you for wanting to help out. Good luck.

- Chris
    That's a really good idea. It would also allow a quality modern gun - free float, flat top for optics, better furniture, light, etc. Quality meaning BCM, Sionics, Centurion level.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Option 1: Most expensive. I can't imagine being sentimental for a poorly operating firearm. Do him a life long favor. Replace the complete upper with a mid-length. Repair or replace the trigger. Put in a new buffer spring and an H1 or H2 buffer.

Option 2: Buy him a mid-length barrel and new BCG, new spring and buffer, fix/replace trigger. Check head space.

Option 3: If you don't want to replace the barrel/upper, buy a complete good BCG, take some head space gauges, and refit the upper. New spring and buffer. Repair or replace trigger.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Option 1: Most expensive. I can't imagine being sentimental for a poorly operating firearm. Do him a life long favor. Replace the complete upper with a mid-length. Repair or replace the trigger. Put in a new buffer spring and an H1 or H2 buffer.

Option 2: Buy him a mid-length barrel and new BCG, new spring and buffer, fix/replace trigger. Check head space.

Option 3: If you don't want to replace the barrel/upper, buy a complete good BCG, take some head space gauges, and refit the upper. New spring and buffer. Repair or replace trigger.
    Option 2 seems tricky - can you use an F marked FSB with a fixed carry handle upper?

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Option 2 seems tricky - can you use an F marked FSB with a fixed carry handle upper?

Andy
    Yes you can.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Yes you can.
    Thank you!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Man, I think those carry handle uppers are cool. At this point, the big investment is done. I certainly this it's worth trying to get running. Do you have any idea of what sort of quality the parts are? If they are of questionable quality, I'd first check headspace.

Other than that, the biggest problems I've had with "budget" parts kits is the small parts. I'd get on Forward Controls Design website and order every spring, pin, detent, gas ring or plunger that does something important. Then, I'd get one of the nickel boron enhanced milspec triggers from Tom's Tactical for $39. Once you confirm headspace, the rest should be easy.

As for the BCG, I'd just replace the rings on the bolt, check the gas key and roll with it. I've seen even cheap BCGs run for thousands of rounds. If it looks to be in good shape, I'd just use it.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    Man, I think those carry handle uppers are cool. At this point, the big investment is done. I certainly this it's worth trying to get running. Do you have any idea of what sort of quality the parts are? If they are of questionable quality, I'd first check headspace.

Other than that, the biggest problems I've had with "budget" parts kits is the small parts. I'd get on Forward Controls Design website and order every spring, pin, detent, gas ring or plunger that does something important. Then, I'd get one of the nickel boron enhanced milspec triggers from Tom's Tactical for $39. Once you confirm headspace, the rest should be easy.

As for the BCG, I'd just replace the rings on the bolt, check the gas key and roll with it. I've seen even cheap BCGs run for thousands of rounds. If it looks to be in good shape, I'd just use it.
    I would have to say questionable quality. It was built in 2005-2006 from what I assume were "gun show" parts. Good call on the pins/springs/detents, and thanks for the steer on the Tom's Tactical trigger.

Andy

Feedback Score

Andy
    F-Marked FSB stands for flat top, not a fixed A1 or A2 style upper receiver.
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast