Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fix my brother's AR - Final Update in Last Post

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    F-Marked FSB stands for flat top, not a fixed A1 or A2 style upper receiver.
    Yes, I understand, and that the F-marked FSB is taller. Since I have never used either an F-height or standard height FSB in the "wrong" application, I have no idea if it still works.

A non-F FSB requirement severely curtails the number of "turn key" barrels I could use.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Just use the non F-marked FSB unless you have a flat upper. i misread your post in my half awake state.
    Last edited by Steve-0-; 07-17-20 at 00:34.
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    Just use the non F-marked FSB unless you have a flat upper. i misread your post in my half awake state.
    I appreciate your clarifying, pretty easy to find people asking about non-F FSB and flat tops but not the other way around.

The more time that goes by the more I'm pretty convinced I'm going to leave it as a carbine barrel. I'm not a huge fan of the carbine gas system, but BRT makes it easy to fix over gassing. Leaning towards checking headspace, replacing small parts, trigger/fcg, buffer/spring, gas tube, and muzzle device.

I will bring a "spare" PSA Midlength gun in case I get over my head or it is not economical to update it.

Andy

EDIT - Talked to my brother about it yesterday. 16" (assumed) carbine with a fixed stock. Unless it's a Cav Arms, it should be an A1 stock. He confirmed the biggest problem is muzzle blast from the brake and the trigger.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 07-18-20 at 13:39.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Its a good thing you are doing. Ive done the same thing recently for a friend. He bought a DPMS several years ago, pencil barrel, not chrome lined....He shot several cases of cheap Wolf ammo through it....gun ran fine.

Recently he began taking a few classes and training vs just shooting....

First thing i did was replace the barrel. Understand, hes at a new job, new baby, new house....not a ton of extra money. We bought one of the Bushmaster M4 1/7 chrome lined barrels from the CDNN liquidation, $100. Bought a milspec extension at the same time. I gave him a Magpul MOE buttstock and handguard. He found a 5.11 Vtac sling cheap. I rebuilt the original bolt- new gas rings, new, proper springs and insert.

His wife bought him a Trijicon MRO for his birthday. Not the latest and greatest but a solid rifle. It will easily shoot 2" with m193 and it runs without issue and he could actually afford it.

If he had "waited" for a better gun, right now, he would have NOTHING. His little mixmaster rifle will do the job.
    Last edited by Esq.; 07-21-20 at 10:30.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Well, I got the carbine in hand and the news is not good. Olympic Arms lower with a "n-type" carbine stock and CAR buffer. A2 upper receiver with semi auto bcg, and pencil barrel with integral muzzle brake. Trigger does not reset properly and trigger pin is walking out. I will fix or replace the trigger before I leave. I told him I would send him a complete upper (including BCG) after I get home. I will include a H1 or H2 buffer depending on the barrel I end up with.

Andy

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    What do you guys think of running a thread protector in place of a muzzle device?

Almost a year later and I have his "new" upper assembled. 20" Faxon Gunner barrel, 15" ALG rail, spare AERO phosphate BCG, M4 receiver, Leupold VX Freedom AR 3-9 in a Warne mount. The barrel, BCG, and rail were take-offs I had on hand.

I screwed a "pencil barrel" thread protector on it temporarily and realized that it doesn't look half bad. The only purposes a muzzle device would serve is to protect the muzzle and look tactical considering what he will do with the rifle (shoot coyotes, maybe deer or antelope).

Andy

P.S. I will shoot the upper tomorrow. The Faxon barrel shot very well before I decided to go in a different direction and removed it. It had a BRT linear comp on it then, I am hoping it will shoot ok without it.

PPS. It is just amazing how intolerable the current barrel is. It made me hate brakes before I bought my first AR.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-15-21 at 08:58.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    If your brother is unconcerned with flash signature or rapid follow up shots (and yeah, 5.56/.223 doesn’t have a lot of recoil), depending on MD, the thread protector should be adequate.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Andy, I'd put on a simple A1 flash suppressor on it for two reasons: it'll protect the crown and it will cut flash from commercial ammo that doesn't use powder with flash suppressant.

If you need a new GI-style trigger let me know and I'll send you a prepped Geissele GI. Better than a badly-timed Oly.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Andy, I'd put on a simple A1 flash suppressor on it for two reasons: it'll protect the crown and it will cut flash from commercial ammo that doesn't use powder with flash suppressant.

If you need a new GI-style trigger let me know and I'll send you a prepped Geissele GI. Better than a badly-timed Oly.
    Thank you for the offer! I swapped the trigger for a known good "GI" unit last year.

I am still considering a FH purely for crown protection. It will spend a good part of its life riding muzzle down on the floor leaned against the truck seat.

EDIT/UPDATE - I installed an A2 FH. It will protect the crown and maybe his hood a little if he uses it as a rest.

RANGE UPDATE - I made it to the range, zeroed it, and determined which handload it liked. I used my Sionics lower with a H2 buffer.

GVsyXY3.jpg

I was not shooting my best, but it seems to prefer 55 gr V-Max and H335. 5 shots right at or slightly under 1 inch center to center.

2jCqPtZ.jpg

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-16-21 at 16:54.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12