Thread: Opinion on these primers?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Opinion on these primers?

I loaded up some .223 today.
    2nd fired Wolf brass. Sized, trimmed, pockets prepped.
    Bullet is 77 gr Nosler Custom Competition. Light crimp with FCD.
    Primer is CCI small rifle(400 I think).
    Powder is TAC, 23 grains.
    Rifle is Sig 516 10” with A5 heavy buffer and YHM brake. I have a rifle gas valve to ge the smallest port possible.
    Suppressed with YHM Turbo.
    75 ish degrees. 800 feet above sea level.
    I do not own a chronograph....someday.

These primers look a little flat to me and maybe even the pin mark seems too deep.
    Opinions? Sierra lists 23 grains as a middle of the road charge.

I know there isn’t much (if any) Sig 516 love here, so please go easy on me.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Looks like some primer flow (the overflow around the firing pin strike dimple), but it's hard to tell because I don't know the Sig gun. And A Rem 700 with show primer flow on the Mildest of rounds. I'd guess that if you're not at published max, you're fine.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    The remaining radius on the cup says fine. I trust that when used in conjunction with reputable data much more so than indicators around the firing pin, some guns just have sloppy firing pins and pin holes. Some firing pins will always crater win primers and not cci or Remington, others the exact opposite. When you lose that whole radius then you need to start looking at the other signs much closer.