Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NO lube on bolt/rings as per FN manual?

Feedback Score

NO lube on bolt/rings as per FN manual?

A buddy, new to ARs, shared this bit of information directly from the owner's manual of his FN.

"Notice! do not apply lubricant to the gas rings on the bolt or the interior of the bolt carrier. These components are not to be lubricated in any way. Using lubrication in the gas system may damage the rifle and cause malfunctions."

Whiskey tango foxtrot? This runs counter to anything I've ever heard about ARs; the common wisdom seems to be run them wet.

What say the group?

Moon

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Lube the carrier rails and cam pin area generously.

Lubing any part of the bolt proper is not really productive.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Clint, I've seen several articles touting AR endurance, endorsing shooting lube in the vent holes in the bolt carrier.
    Personally, I've found lube keeps the carbon fouling soft; it's gunky, but easy to remove.
    Lube in the cam pin area does make sense.
    Thanks,
    Moon

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Its to the point now, that where & how to lube is as controversial as what lube is best. Ive now seen so many conflicting articles & vids that Im just gonna keep doing like Ive been doing and as long as my guns run..and they do..Ill be happy.
    FWIW I use a lithium grease inside & outside the bcg & on the lugs. Aint NEVER had a problem.
    But I bet Im doin it wrong.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It's a machine with metal to metal contact at multiple points. I lube it fairly generously. Never really had a prob. Whatever happened to the idea of running it wet.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    A buddy, new to ARs, shared this bit of information directly from the owner's manual of his FN.

"Notice! do not apply lubricant to the gas rings on the bolt or the interior of the bolt carrier. These components are not to be lubricated in any way. Using lubrication in the gas system may damage the rifle and cause malfunctions."

Whiskey tango foxtrot? This runs counter to anything I've ever heard about ARs; the common wisdom seems to be run them wet.

What say the group?

Moon
    Probably a Prop 65 liability thing where they dont want lube spraying out of the bolt carrier into people's faces.

Also I ABSOLUTELY lube the bolt body and interior of the bolt carrier, the interior of the carrier has the tightest clearances. Keeping the carbon in suspension inside the carrier goes a long way in reducing friction.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A drop of CLP into each vent hole after I'm done shooting, as halfmoonclip stated tends to keep it softer. I generally use LP on the cam pin/hole.

Feedback Score
    Guys, this does sound more like the common wisdom. Seem to recall keeping my bolt pretty dry in basic (back in the dim mists of time) and the carbon was a perfect bugger to get off.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Lube the carrier rails and cam pin area generously.

Lubing any part of the bolt proper is not really productive.
    I lube my rings because it makes me feel better, but I've always wondered how long it lasted while firing. Could you give us more detail, I tend to pay attention tomanufacturers. Thanks.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I just put light lube everywhere, and an extra drop on the cam pin and in the lube hole.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast