Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NO lube on bolt/rings as per FN manual?

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=halfmoonclip;2862050]"Notice! do not apply lubricant to the gas rings on the bolt or the interior of the bolt carrier. These components are not to be lubricated in any way. Using lubrication in the gas system may damage the rifle and cause malfunctions."
    26thInf, this is verbatim from the owner's manual; no other details.
    BTW, a PP's remark about 'oil blowing out of the vent holes' made me wonder if somewhere someone pumped a huge amount of lube in thru' the holes. I can see that as an issue.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    [QUOTE=halfmoonclip;2862344]
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    "Notice! do not apply lubricant to the gas rings on the bolt or the interior of the bolt carrier. These components are not to be lubricated in any way. Using lubrication in the gas system may damage the rifle and cause malfunctions."
    BTW, a PP's remark about 'oil blowing out of the vent holes' made me wonder if somewhere someone pumped a huge amount of lube in thru' the holes. I can see that as an issue.
    Moon
    Its not really an issue,you cant really "over lube" an AR. The gun will spit out whatever oil it doesnt need. The only thing it will make is a mess.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've got this thing against hot metal rubbing at a high rate of speed under pressure on hot metal without a lubricant. Call me crazy, but it seems like a bad idea.

My crazy notion probably comes from my experience with internal combustion engines not running well for very long without adequate lubrication.

I'll continue to run my BCG fairly wet because its never been a problem in the past. And this is the first time I've heard of this idea.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Lube on the rings and anything on the bolt tail seem to get blode out the exhaust vents anyway, but Eff FN!!! Almost 30 years on this platform... soggy bolts are happy bolts.

And to quote the great Billy Bob Thorton in THE BAD NEWS BEARS.... "bunch of liberal propaganda"
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    [QUOTE=halfmoonclip;2862344]
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    "Notice! do not apply lubricant to the gas rings on the bolt or the interior of the bolt carrier. These components are not to be lubricated in any way. Using lubrication in the gas system may damage the rifle and cause malfunctions."
    Moon
    Thanks, I was hoping Clint would add more detail.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Slamming it home dry just rubs me the wrong way. A wet bolt goes in smooth and easy, as it was intended to.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Slamming it home dry just rubs me the wrong way. A wet bolt goes in smooth and easy, as it was intended to.
    That is (absolutely) what she said...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 4t5acp@gmail.com View Post
    That is (absolutely) what she said...
    Ah, give some guys a big, slow one over the plate, and they just have to tag it...
    LOL!
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Watched a Brownell's video in this topic a few days ago and their take on it was primarily the oil inside just gets blown out the vent holes anyway and anything that doesn't makes a burnt carbon mess

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    One of the reasons I use CLP at the end of a shooting session it to allow time for it to sink into the rings (one drop of CLP into each vent hole directly onto the rings). You are not going to blow all the oil out, in fact the tail end of the bolt is generally somewhat goopy by the time I get to actually cleaning the thing.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast