Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NO lube on bolt/rings as per FN manual?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I'm not an engineer, tier one dude, etc. All I can say is I've lubed my AR's closely like the image above since shooting them and never had an issue whatsoever. I've also been fortunate to be in positions to have shot personally untold tens of thousands of rounds and witnessed thousands shoot for days and not once did the above lube points cause an issue. Now I have seen "run it dry" and it never works for long.
    Same here

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Wow.......FN, what a joke
    I like FN and they make great guns but their CS there along with their team of lawyers does them no favors. I could absolutely see sending in an AR to them and having them ask did you ever oil the gas rings, you say "yea but the issue is with the buffer tube". Sorry we are not going to warranty it = NO SOUP FOR YOU!

You should see some of the BS they come up with in some of the SCAR groups.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I could absolutely see sending in an AR to them and having them ask did you ever oil the gas rings, you say "yea but the issue is with the buffer tube". Sorry we are not going to warranty it = NO SOUP FOR YOU!
    That'd be the quickest route to never buy, ever...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Same here

I like FN and they make great guns but their CS there along with their team of lawyers does them no favors. I could absolutely see sending in an AR to them and having them ask did you ever oil the gas rings, you say "yea but the issue is with the buffer tube". Sorry we are not going to warranty it = NO SOUP FOR YOU!

You should see some of the BS they come up with in some of the SCAR groups.
    Very true....

Feedback Score
    Hmm, page 48 on the manual. ODD!.

I agree there CS is horrible. With there portal system. I have a FNS40L and a patrol carbine. I had to send the FNS for the upgraded striker. What a hassle that was. If anything needs replacing on the carbine, i am just going to do it my self.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Although I disagree that lubing the rings or the inside of the bolt will hurt something, I don't disagree with regard to their needing to be lubed. I used to do it, but just never saw any wisdom in it.

Any lube that you put on the rings is going to be gone after the first shot. When I lube my AR, I run a bead of lube down the top rails where they meet the gas key and the bottom rails on the bolt carrier. I put a drop on the cam pin and a few drops on the lugs of the bolt. I'll then dab my finger in some lube and run it down the underside of the carrier when it rubs the hammer. That's it. The lube on the rails is to keep things slick, but the rest of the lube isn't to make anything slicker than it needs to be, but to provide a medium by which the working of the action itself will displace crud build up. I don't clean my ARs very often, so I run them on the wet side by letting whatever excess I applied to the rails just seep where ever it wants to go. I've never had a problem with any of my ARs.

Feedback Score
    Interesting about that first shot blowing out any oil, and that may well be true.
    OTOH, I find soft, gooey carbon, not the stone hard variety, on my bolt...
    Thanks, guys! This has been interesting; keep it coming.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've watch that video and think they under lube in general. If they want to leave out the lube down the gas key, no problem. I've put lube down the key and in the bore of the bc and never got carbonizing.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Dumbass called it “MP3”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    So what does Colt say about lubing bolt?

This discussion has me questioning lubing it. When I first came to this forum I was s sloppy, wet luber. After reading some posts here I tried a more minimalist approach with LSA. I had MUCH less carbon inside my whole rifle. It was day and night. And with no apparent loss of lubrication. So this discussion has me wondering.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast