Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magpul Fixed Carbine Stock edit in OP

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Magpul Fixed Carbine Stock edit in OP

The adjustable LOL is one of the great things about an AR, but I'm trying to pinch pennies.

I recently picked up a PSA 16" Freedom midlength from a member that has Magpul furniture, including an STR stock which is both heavy and nicer than needed. A Magpul fixed carbine stock is about the least expensive option and makes for a simpler gun to hand someone at the range or Boogaloo (I kid). It would also blend with the MOE grip and HG.

My question - is the Magpul fixed carbine stock short enough for the average lady or young teen using irons? In my experience, a shorter LOP is not a huge problem but a long one is.

Thank you

Andy

EDIT - Thanks for the sanity check - I ordered an adjustable MOE stock. $10 is not worth losing the adjustability.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 07-12-20 at 08:04.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The fixed car stock is actually too short when installed as directed.

BUT.

It can be installed about an inch further out with a slight modification to the receiver extension tube.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The adjustable LOL is one of the great things about an AR, but I'm trying to pinch pennies.

I recently picked up a PSA 16" Freedom midlength from a member that has Magpul furniture, including an STR stock which is both heavy and nicer than needed. A Magpul fixed carbine stock is about the least expensive option and makes for a simpler gun to hand someone at the range or Boogaloo (I kid). It would also blend with the MOE grip and HG.

My question - is the Magpul fixed carbine stock short enough for the average lady or young teen using irons? In my experience, a shorter LOP is not a huge problem but a long one is.

Thank you

Andy

I have a PSA "M4" stock installed at the moment, but it's ridiculously loose, even with tape shimming.
    It should be. I have one on an AR that my 10 year old skn uses.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just determining what position the shooter prefers with an adjustable stock and leaving it there seems like the simplest option. I haven’t checked the price in a while but I didn’t think the Magpul fixed carbine stock was particularly cheap either compared to their other stocks.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Just determining what position the shooter prefers with an adjustable stock and leaving it there seems like the simplest option. I haven’t checked the price in a while but I didn’t think the Magpul fixed carbine stock was particularly cheap either compared to their other stocks.
    I'm looking for a general fit, not for a specific individual. The fixed MOE carbine stock runs about $10/25% less than than the adjustable MOE. I think maybe I am being penny wise and pound foolish.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 07-11-20 at 21:03.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You're talking just ten bucks. Having the adjustability to accommodate clothing thickness, body armor, different human operator wing spans more than pays for itself. Stick a Magpul MOE on it and don't worry, be happy!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You are spending money to give less function to save pennies?

Just making sure I’m reading this correctly.....
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    My wifes carbine has the magpul fixed carbine stock. She is pretty short and has short arms. She runs that thing great.

I see you ordered the MOE stock, most likely a better option.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The Fixed Carbine stock might be the strongest stock Magpul makes, and a top contender in the strongest stock you can buy for an AR. I don't think you could break one if you tried.

LOP is just under an A1 stock if I remember correctly. Fairly universally sized for a NON adjustable.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I ended up buying a fixed MOE carbine stock this month for a cheap extra lower I am using with a dedicated 22 lr upper.

The first consideration was a stock short enough for kids/ladies. I also wanted a stock that doesn't rattle and did not cost much.

I like the stock for a dedicated .22 lr. Length is good for my wife and usable for me with a scope. Simplicity is a good thing for new or occasional shooters, it is solid, and the lower price was welcome.

I have arms like an orangutan, but tend to run my AR stocks fairly short - the fixed carbine stock LOP is fine for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast