Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USS Bonhomme Richard on fire.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)

USS Bonhomme Richard on fire.

Explosion on the ship caused a fire. Looks like they are starting to get it under control now.

https://www.10news.com/news/local-ne...t9MAECIBF6bSWk
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Reports of 18 injured, no reports of any deaths so far, I hope that remains to be true.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    As a Navy man, I hate to see this and thoughts and prayers go out to those aboard the ship and those helping combat the fire.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I’ve been out for 10+ years but worked in munitions and armaments (USAF).

TDY at an active duty Navy installation and have seen their facilities, practices, and training material.

Their munitions safety, handling, and storage regulations were just like ours, with great attention to detail and strict discipline.

No idea what happened here but the likelihood of a “random accident” or even human error is, in my experience, very very low.

Draw your own conclusions but I will watch the investigation with great interest.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    It's been undergoing maintenance and retrofit/modernization work for over a year in San Diego. A big part of that was preparing to move from the Harrier to the F-35.

Miss being in San Diego around the shipyards for work. Sad to see this today, but glad so far it appears that injuries were not severe and no lives have been lost.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    It's been undergoing maintenance and retrofit/modernization work for over a year in San Diego. A big part of that was preparing to move from the Harrier to the F-35.

Miss being in San Diego around the shipyards for work. Sad to see this today, but glad so far it appears that injuries were not severe and no lives have been lost.
    I wondered about that. The video showed what looked like container on the deck. I wondered if it was undergoing refit or repairs.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    Yeah it’s in port for repairs. Just going to be a lot more repairs now.

I’m sure in typical navy fashion they’re going to fire the skipper, regardless of fault.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    If undergoing refitting for a year wouldn't they offload things like jet fuel and ordnance? I wonder what exploded?
    Last edited by mack7.62; 07-12-20 at 20:48.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    If undergoing refitting for a year wouldn't they offload things like jet fuel and ordnance? I wonder what exploded?
    If they were undergoing repairs there would be a lot of dangerous stuff on board. Everything from flammable cleaning supplies to things like oxy acetylene torches. Once some of that shit gets going it is hard to put out.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    My delivery in Coronado at 1360 Orange Ave is directly across the bay from where this happened. I deliver Monday morning at 0600. There's no parking for my 80' Mansion on Wheels so I'll drive in late tonight & just hang out until the PoPo shows up to run me off. I hear it's a mess down there on the streets ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast