Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: USS Bonhomme Richard on fire.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Been watching the CBS 8 live stream off and on all day. Sad to see but I think that ship is toast. Heat and fire does weird things to steel, and you don't want that ship loaded with people and equipment going through a storm at sea and cracking in half. Fire was hot enough to set the pier side bumpers on fire from the heat coming out of hull. That type of heat absolutely changes the structural integrity.

My best friend is a recon company CO up at Pendleton, and said a bunch of the command staff has been chatting about this. She just went through almost 250 million in retrofits and upgrades to start running the F35 and was supposed to be finished months ago but the project was virus delayed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A US Navy vessel is a dangerous place to live and the crew has to be on their toes at all times. Yard birds are sometimes careless and it would not be unusual for a US Navy vessel to have a fire (at least a small one) onboard while undergoing repairs (BTDT).

Thank God the fire did not occur while the ship was out to sea; there is no where to run and you can't call the fire department.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Glad that no one has been seriously injured. The BHR brought me and many other Marines home from Iraq in 2003 with stops in Sydney, Brisbane and Pearl before dropping us off at Camp Pendleton. We had lots of fun in all the ports. I took another trip on her in 04/05 with BLT 1/1 and the 15th MEU.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Well I bet China is happy.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Well I bet China is happy.
    Although accidents happen, every single "accident" like this should be investigated for possible sabotage, given the current world.

Feedback Score
    It can happen, especially with welding (where's the fire watch?), but I wouldn't;t discount sabotage, especially from Iran. Remember the recent explosions in nuclear facilities there: Not saying we did those, could be accidental but they might think we did. Or, was the "Serapis" running around near San Diego?
    Hurrah for The Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not good. Bridge is now on fire. They’re saying it started in lower vehicle storage. May end up being a loss.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...into-the-night

Feedback Score
    I smell the presence of LCpl Schmuckatelli in this. Somehow his carelessness caused this.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    WTF is burning, I would think a modern combat ship would be designed to withstand combat damage, the fact that it is burning to the waterline while tied to the pier does not say much about how tough it is. I think when they build a replacement might need to use a little less wood paneling and a little more steel and asbestos.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 07-13-20 at 13:19.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    WTF is burning, I would think a modern combat ship would be designed to withstand combat damage, the fact that it is burning to the waterline while tied to the pier does not say much about how tough it is. I think when they build a replacement might need to use a little less wood paneling and a little more steel and asbestos.
    It was under maintenance. Folks are saying that usually means damage control systems are disabled, hatches are open, and less crew on board.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast