Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: USS Bonhomme Richard on fire.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Looking at the updated photos and video, I don't see how any of it would be salvageable.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    A US Navy vessel is a dangerous place to live and the crew has to be on their toes at all times. Yard birds are sometimes careless and it would not be unusual for a US Navy vessel to have a fire (at least a small one) onboard while undergoing repairs (BTDT).

Thank God the fire did not occur while the ship was out to sea; there is no where to run and you can't call the fire department.
    Well you can and do, but the FD is you. On a combat ship, everyone is a firefighter when/if the time comes.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    WTF is burning, I would think a modern combat ship would be designed to withstand combat damage, the fact that it is burning to the waterline while tied to the pier does not say much about how tough it is. I think when they build a replacement might need to use a little less wood paneling and a little more steel and asbestos.
    I’m sure because it was having work done to it they had a ton of doors open with gear and stuff spread all over. Plus the fact there was only a skeleton crew of around 160 vs the normal 900ish on board did not help. She would have had a much better chance had this happened at sea or on any normal day. The sailors on that ship were very professional and I know the Navy takes firefighting very seriously. All sailors are fireman first kinda like all Marines are riflemen first. Obviously it’s not there primary job but they all have a very basic understanding of how to fight a ship board fire.

I’m afraid the ships gonna be a total loss though. It’s burnt from the well deck up and now part of the island has collapsed. Basically the entire middle of the ship I going to have very serious metal fatigue and damage.

Feedback Score
    Maybe, if history is a guide and we look at USS Franklin and USS Bunker Hill of WWII fame both ships were put back in service after suffering massive damage.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    At this point, my fear is the massive damage 1m gallons of fuel would do to San Diego Harbor.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    At this point, my fear is the massive damage 1m gallons of fuel would do to San Diego Harbor.
    If it’s docked for retrofit why keep that much fuel onboard? Or is that nothing new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The CO of the USS Fitzgerald, which had to be moved due to this fire, apparently wrote a scathing report about retrofit fire safety just last year...

https://news.usni.org/2019/05/31/fit...rd-fire-safety
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Maybe, if history is a guide and we look at USS Franklin and USS Bunker Hill of WWII fame both ships were put back in service after suffering massive damage.
    Agreed. But just looking... If the fire started on the lower decks and has burned all the way up through the superstructure that isn't a good sign. She has been burning for over 24 hours at this point. We are talking actual changes to the integrity of the structural materials now. In WW2 they probably would have scuttled her by now.

Last edited by kwelz; 07-13-20 at 20:38.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Well you can and do, but the FD is you. On a combat ship, everyone is a firefighter when/if the time comes.
    Yup. BTDT.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    Agreed. But just looking... If the fire started on the lower decks and has burned all the way up through the superstructure that isn't a good sign. She has been burning for over 24 hours at this point. We are talking actual changes to the integrity of the structural materials now. In WW2 they probably would have scuttled her by now.

Probably right. Without a full complement on board for damage control the fire spread as much as it did. With her being in port and everyone off and accounted for there’s not as much reason to put people at serious risk to put out the fire and save the ship. Plus as pointed out it’s not a brand new ship, may be money ahead to keep fire from spreading and scrap her out.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast