Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting optic failure - RMR

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)

Interesting optic failure - RMR

I had an interesting equipment failure today.

This Glock 19 has a Type 1 RM09 that was installed in November 2016. Estimated round count is in the neighborhood of 20k. I have never had any problems with this optic, no issues with the dot flickering/loss of battery contact/nada. I don't do anything like intentionally rack my optic on hard surfaces to cycle the slide, and it has lived its life in a holster.

Today, I started shooting at 0915. Temp is mid-90s, humidity is 50% with clear skies. After a lunch break, I went back to shooting and noticed I had a giant, basketball sized dot in the middle of a course of fire. Thought nothing of it, broke the shot, and the dot disappeared completely after that. I thought it was an electronics failure, and kept shooting with the irons. After two more shots, the glass flew off the front of the RMR and went downrange.

It appears the adhesive for the glass has simply worn out. Yes, I've contacted Trijicon and am in the process of receiving an RMA. I'm sure that part will take care of itself, so no worries there.

But has anyone else actually had the entire glass window come off of an RMR? I've seen electronics die, I've seen UTM rounds crack the glass, and I've seen someone strike an RMR against a metal staircase and crack it. But I've never seen or ever had any other RMR have the glass completely remove itself.

And yes- I contemplated just using some 2-part epoxy and seating the glass myself. But I will gladly use an official warranty repair whenever possible.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Bravo sir. Bravo indeed.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    After that many rounds with a dot on your pistol, I take it you're a believer in the idea of the sight on a handgun?

The limited exposure I've had with them has been less than confidence inspiring.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    After that many rounds with a dot on your pistol, I take it you're a believer in the idea of the sight on a handgun?

The limited exposure I've had with them has been less than confidence inspiring.
    I’m in 100% on it. Agency just authorized them (personal purchase) and I’ll drop that coin immediately.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Absolutely.

The advantages of being able to focus on the target as well as have an aiming point under NODs is more than worth it.

But I'm not ever going to ditch having zeroed irons. Case in point: see above.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    Absolutely.

The advantages of being able to focus on the target as well as have an aiming point under NODs is more than worth it.

But I'm not ever going to ditch having zeroed irons. Case in point: see above.
    That’s a fact.

Interesting thing if you can try it. Shoot the irons without the glass there and see what kind of shift the glass causes versus bare irons.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    OP needs more Holosun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Good work brother. I’ve got maybe half as many rounds on one. Warranty service once. I’m still on the fence as to whether they are for me. My vision is getting a little wonky, so that will likely force my hand.

I like that coin on the far right.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Pretty impressive failure
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    My vision is getting a little wonky, so that will likely force my hand.
    This is something that my dad pointed out a few weeks ago. For him, he can actually shoot a pistol accurately again. He was at the point that his front sight post was just a blur, and he believes having an RDS on his pistol is helping keep him in the game that much longer.

For me, it's being able to keep all of my focus on the target. Makes accurately shooting a moving target much, much easier.

I like that coin on the far right.
    As do I, brother.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast