Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: INDIA Buying More 716s

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

INDIA Buying More 716s

https://bulgarianmilitary.com/2020/0...united-states/

72,000 rifles. Pretty impressive sale for SIG. This could possibly be the largest contract yet for a 7.62 AR. Specifically for a piston gun.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Would a piston gun be considered a 7.62 AR?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some conflicting info exists but it seems the Indian 716 is actually a direct impingement operating system rather than piston rod.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is actually Sig's second sale to India. Last year Sig won a contract for 76,000+ 716s from India. All indications at that time was that these were 716G2 models, which were piston operated. It does appear that the new contract for 72,000 additional 716s is for the 716i, which is the DI model. Regardless, that is 148,000 716 rifles in one form or another in less than two years. Sig may be the largest supplier of .308 AR rifles in the world now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Would a piston gun be considered a 7.62 AR?
    Why not? Is an HK416 considered an AR, or a Sig 516? LWRC, LMT?? They all seem like ARs to me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Interesting article. Looks like they want to equip their infantry/frontline units with the 716 and their support units with AKs? Also looks like they're interested in the 7.62 rifle's performance at longer range. Mountain to mountain shooting against the Chinese and Pakistanis probably is under consideration here. .
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjd75 View Post
    Regardless, that is 148,000 716 rifles in one form or another in less than two years. Sig may be the largest supplier of .308 AR rifles in the world now.
    Yes. That's probably the case. Seems the other countries using the 7.62 AR are doing so as a DMR and not a battle rifle.

Pretty interesting that the AR10 is finally seeing use as it was intended.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjd75 View Post
    Why not? Is an HK416 considered an AR, or a Sig 516? LWRC, LMT?? They all seem like ARs to me.
    Perhaps my question was more rhetorical.

Regardless, I think this is great. If Sig can hash out any problems with the weapon with the Indian Army, such updates will only benefit US civilians. The price on the 716i is “legit.”

But, I would like to find some sort of confirmation on which models the Army is getting. I knew the earlier order was for the original piston design,

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Crappy article, hard to tell if they are getting the same that the just purchased or the DI version.

Regardless good news for SIG

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Crappy article, hard to tell if they are getting the same that the just purchased or the DI version.

Regardless good news for SIG
    Given India’s small arms procurement, I’d actually be quite surprised if they didn’t field both types, simultaneously, in the same units. And then blame Sig when that goes badly.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast