Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nightforce NSX 2.5 -10x 42

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    My 2.5-10x24 was one of the best scopes I’d ever purchased. I know it’s not the model you’re asking about but it’s pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by dpb1776 View Post
    Looking at one of these for a 20inch spr type rifle. Currently has a vx-r patrol rifle optic but looking to upgrade. I like the Nightforce for the glass clarity, elevation, zero stop etc plus I qualify for the discount. I will also be running an offset red dot on the rifle. Any other optics that have come on the market that would be a good choice? Looked at a Steiner TX5 3-15 also the Burris XTR 3-15 but they are a little on the bulky side. I did like the Burris 2-10 but they are no longer being made and plus had a really tight eyebox. Not really interested in FFP at 10 or under magnification. Thanks for any input

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    My 2.5-10x24 was one of the best scopes I’d ever purchased. I know it’s not the model you’re asking about but it’s pretty close.
    I have heard those were really good

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Nightforce 2.5-10x42 is a fantastic optic, and I personally think it's one of the more versatile models available from NF. The adjustable parallax is a nice feature to have, and it performs great in a variety of lighting conditions. I haven't had a problem with the glass, and find it to be adequately sharp/clear. The eyebox is relatively forgiving as well at 10x, and it isn't bulky. It is built like a tank, though. The illumination feature is nice to have, but I don't really use it.

All in all, it's a really, really capable optic on an SPR -style rifle, and I like mine a lot. It isn't too much magnification, nor is it too little.

It's also worth noting that if you're not looking at FFP options or LPVOs like a 1-8 ATACR, or the new Vortex 1-10, then it is extremely hard to beat the NXS at the value/price point/reticle choices/performance, especially in SFP.

If I were building an 18" or 20" upper, I would certainly be looking at either of these two LPVO, given my uses. The only things that I am not a fan of on the ATACR and Vortex 1-10 are the fact that they lack an adjustable parallax, especially on the Vortex, given the magnification...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    I’ve never seen a Nightforce with push button illumination, especially in the NXS line.
    Then you must be a time traveler?

https://www.nightforceoptics.com/tec...y/illumination

DigIllum™

DigIllum™ digital reticle illumination technology is available in select Nightforce riflescopes. As Nightforce’s premier illumination system, Digillum increases convenience and functionality in a single button control. Choose the appropriate illumination setting for your lighting conditions—either red or green, in five intensities from very dim to extremely bright. The illumination will turn off automatically after 1 hour or can be manually turned off to extend battery life. When illumination is turned back on, it defaults to your previously chosen setting, ensuring your night vision will not be adversely affected and that you’re instantly ready for a shot. Finally, Digillum is built into the side focus control, adding no additional width or extra knobs to the scope.
    https://www.nightforceoptics.com/rif...-10x42-compact

Illumination DigIllum™
    It is a pushbutton system, and IMHO it's mediocre (and very similar to the Leupold Firedot control, which is also mediocre). The older NXS system of pulling out the parallax knob wasn't great either, FWIW. Digillum offers multiple settings, but is clunky to use.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I love the 2.5-10x24/32/42 for lightweight rifles. For my own SPRish build I went with the ATACR 4-16X42. Similar footprint but with approx 50% more magnification. It comes with a weight penalty as well. The 4-14 SHV F1 is also excellent if on a budget and not minding overall size

Feedback Score
    I am going to go with the Nightforce the combination of size and weight, versatility, FOV and eyebox seems hard to beat. Funny I didn't think I would want another SFP optic but after a couple of years of messing with FFP and SFP you learn shortcomings and advantages of both. Bolt guns and probably when I get a large frame AR I will probably go with a FFP optic with higher magnification. But on a smaller rifle I think I prefer SFP. The Leupold VX-R pro I am using has proven to be versatile the main problem is no zero stop and the reticle is very thick which hurts precision on long range targets. Trying to hit an 8 inch plate at 500 yards can prove challenging when it disappears when you put the cross hairs on it, the scope is a great hunting scope, the thick reticle does make it fast to get on target. Also not to mention but as crazy as things are getting I want a scope that is basically bomb proof, but that is another topic all together. Thank everyone for all the advice and feedback

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Check out the EE sections here, at TOS, and snipers hide. Second hand is a great way to try out scopes, and you might find something you want that's been DC'd.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Thanks for the info. Like I said, I’ve never seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Then you must be a time traveler?

https://www.nightforceoptics.com/tec...y/illumination

https://www.nightforceoptics.com/rif...-10x42-compact

It is a pushbutton system, and IMHO it's mediocre (and very similar to the Leupold Firedot control, which is also mediocre). The older NXS system of pulling out the parallax knob wasn't great either, FWIW. Digillum offers multiple settings, but is clunky to use.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have quite a bit of time behind a X42

Damn good scope and is good at 10X.

I also have a lot behind the ATACR 4-16X42.

Awesome scope and my pick if budget allows.

Both top notch optics that hold up to heavy use.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I love the 2.5-10x24/32/42 for lightweight rifles. For my own SPRish build I went with the ATACR 4-16X42. Similar footprint but with approx 50% more magnification. It comes with a weight penalty as well. The 4-14 SHV F1 is also excellent if on a budget and not minding overall size
    I think gunner nailed as did 17k, so let me add. Since your going to run a RDS offset, you don’t need the lower mag. The ATACR is compact but kind of heavy, so if price and weight discourage you. The SHV F1 is good to go. But the ATACR is my pick too.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 07-19-20 at 08:42.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast