Thread: Need help with evaluating dent in my 223 brass

Feedback Score

Need help with evaluating dent in my 223 brass

Was inspecting a batch of 300 223 Remington brass I wanted to clean in my tumbler and discovered 9/10 had the dent in the shoulder area like the piece of brass in the picture I have included. I have two questions. The only semi-auto rifles I own are AR's and have always saved my brass but never really examined it all that closely before. My AR's always have functioned literally flawlessly and are quite accurate, so I never felt it necessary to look over my saved spent brass..

#1-Is this normal for brass shot from an AR and if not what could be causing it and should I be worried and how to fix it.

#2-Is the brass still safe to reload.

Thank you,
    Art,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It's hitting the deflector and yes it would be safe to reload.

Feedback Score
    Than you Tom for your help. All I ever really looked at on mt spent 223 beass was for primer issues and ejector issues.
    As my eye sight has changed recently I can not see smallish details or read small print unless my glasses are off. When at the range I were my employer supplied prescription safety glasses and very rarely take them off so seeing small imperfections like the tiny dimple in my brass is not possible.

Due to the current an in my opinion long term ammo shortages and 75%-100% or greater increase in the cost of the most popular calibers I have no choice but to begin large volume reloading again.
    Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That's nothing. You should see the farked up brass I've fire formed back into action.

That dent will mostly come out in resizing, and the rest of the way when fired.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's nothing. You should see the farked up brass I've fire formed back into action.

That dent will mostly come out in resizing, and the rest of the way when fired.
    Of course that dent gets pressed out and you'll have a new one with the new firing. No big deal.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMTJAGER View Post
    Than you Tom for your help. All I ever really looked at on mt spent 223 beass was for primer issues and ejector issues.
    As my eye sight has changed recently I can not see smallish details or read small print unless my glasses are off. When at the range I were my employer supplied prescription safety glasses and very rarely take them off so seeing small imperfections like the tiny dimple in my brass is not possible.

Due to the current an in my opinion long term ammo shortages and 75%-100% or greater increase in the cost of the most popular calibers I have no choice but to begin large volume reloading again.
    Thanks again.
    As long as there isn't some sort of tear in the brass you should be good. I blew up the picture as large as I could and could not see a tear.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Totally normal mark on the brass for ARs.

There is some correlation between the cycle speed of the action and the location of the deflector dent along the case.

Normally it shows up further toward the base on faster cycling setups.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Thanks to all for the replies and conformation my brass is OK to reload. I have been reloading bottle necked rifle calibers for over 25 years and don't recall ever seeing anything like that om my 338wm, 300wsm, 7mmstw, 300wm, 308win, 35rem or 223 for my friends Contender, so I became rather concerned the 800+ pieces of my own 1x fired brass might be bad and caused from an issue with of my AR's.

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    To Clint's point, the bolt speed is a factor in the ejection and denting of the brass. Do you know your buffer weight? H? H1?, etc.

Depending on the gas port, gas system length, and buffer system.. you could tune that denting out of the ejection.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    A small piece of black velcro (one side of it at least) on the deflector to cushion the impact may stop the brass dings entirely. Costs very little to try...