Thread: Brownells BCG's - Quality or Issues?

Feedback Score

Brownells BCG's - Quality or Issues?

I have been doing some retro builds recently and have purchased complete barreled uppers from Brownells which included the charging handle and Bolt Carrier Group. I have been replacing the Brownells BCG's with Colt and naturally no issues.

Any ideas who makes the BCG's for Brownells and their quality? The only problem I have had with the Brownells units are the Firing Pin Retaining pin is a booger to reinstall. Never had an issue with the Colt, LMT, etc. but the brownells is a fight to get back in. I was trained to field strip the AR/M16 weapon blindfolded and reassemble the same way. I never have had that cotter pin/firing pin retaining pin give me this much trouble in the past.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Since their BRN-10 barrels were/are sourced from Faxon, I’d guess them as a likely source. No actual knowledge.

Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure that Brownells uses Azimuth Technology for a lot of their BCGs. > https://www.azimuthtechnology.com/pr...arrier-groups/
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 07-15-20 at 17:37.

Feedback Score
    Some just are difficult to seat.

You can work it in from the bottom of the bcg easy enough. Get the top in and push / crimp the bottom in with something.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Since their BRN-10 barrels were/are sourced from Faxon, I’d guess them as a likely source. No actual knowledge.
    I don't know about this, but I did notice that the Brownell's 9mm BCG is identical to my Faxon 9mm BCG, for whatever that might mean.

For what it's worth, I know a few guys that have been into ARs far longer than I have and their default is to order a part from Brownell's if they offer it, including BCGs and I haven't heard anything bad about them.