Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Last round bolt open on 9mm AR?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Last round bolt open on 9mm AR?

Im really interested in the Troy "Other" in 9mm since it is legal in NJ. I noticed the bolt doesn't remain open on last round. Is this the case with most 9mm AR type Carbines/SBR? Any opinions re. Troy in this platform?
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Admitted New York State Bar 1994

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    9mm LRBO only come with specific lower that support it. Most vendors would call it out specifically if the lower has that. E.g. Angstadt arms. There's a L shape bar on the right side that hooks to the mag catch, with a lightened mag catch spring. It depends on the bcg and buffer as well. The short stroke system I have wouldn't not work as it doesn't retrieve back enough to catch the bolt.

Last edited by AwaySooner; 07-16-20 at 13:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got bitten by the AR9 bug recently myself. Well, over the past few months. I wound up building my own. I just prefer to build my own ARs.

With the LRBHO, this seems to be a feature and some have and some don't when it comes to rigs that run Glock mags. This seems to be the more popular option, since just about everyone has Glock mags laying around. The methods employed to accommodate the LRBHO appear to differ a bit. Just beware that if the description doesn't say specifically that it has this feature, odds are that it doesn't.

For those rigs that use Colt or other style SMG mags, it seems that having a LRBHO is the norm. Personally, I wasn't sure of how much I was going to like an AR in 9mm, so I went with using one of my multi-cal lowers and Endomags. I used a CMMG barrel and Faxon bolt. Mine has run 100% so far after a couple thousand rounds.

As for the one your are interested in...the Troy, I might have to think twice about that or at least do a bit of research. I took a look at it and in the description section the site describes the "material" used as being 6061. The standard for ARs these days is 7075 T6, which is a good bit stronger than 6061. I don't even buy 6061 charging handles. I've seen too many of them bend at the front over time just from being racked. 9mm is a harder on everything than a gas operated firearm due to the blow back design. I wouldn't buy any AR where the receivers are made of 6061, much less a 9mm.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    I got bitten by the AR9 bug recently myself. Well, over the past few months. I wound up building my own. I just prefer to build my own ARs.

With the LRBHO, this seems to be a feature and some have and some don't when it comes to rigs that run Glock mags. This seems to be the more popular option, since just about everyone has Glock mags laying around. The methods employed to accommodate the LRBHO appear to differ a bit. Just beware that if the description doesn't say specifically that it has this feature, odds are that it doesn't.

For those rigs that use Colt or other style SMG mags, it seems that having a LRBHO is the norm. Personally, I wasn't sure of how much I was going to like an AR in 9mm, so I went with using one of my multi-cal lowers and Endomags. I used a CMMG barrel and Faxon bolt. Mine has run 100% so far after a couple thousand rounds.

As for the one your are interested in...the Troy, I might have to think twice about that or at least do a bit of research. I took a look at it and in the description section the site describes the "material" used as being 6061. The standard for ARs these days is 7075 T6, which is a good bit stronger than 6061. I don't even buy 6061 charging handles. I've seen too many of them bend at the front over time just from being racked. 9mm is a harder on everything than a gas operated firearm due to the blow back design. I wouldn't buy any AR where the receivers are made of 6061, much less a 9mm.
    You would think Troy would use the best materials. Where is the weak point on the receiver where this is an issue? It does look like they offer a lifetime warranty though.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spa...b-spartan9.htm

I built an AR9 last year and used this lower paired with the same brand upper. Turned out really nice and compact with a LAW folder.
    Last edited by Manofmayhem; 07-16-20 at 20:01.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was eyeing up PSA due to the price... but lack of the last round bolt hold open won’t let me invest in one from them. Yea, is still works without it... but when all my ARs have it, rather keep the manual of arms identical across the board.

I really want to invest in a Glock magazine fed AR pistol, since we just switched to the Glock 19. But I want that feature...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PLCedeno View Post
    You would think Troy would use the best materials. Where is the weak point on the receiver where this is an issue? It does look like they offer a lifetime warranty though.
    Well, I can't say that any of it would be an issue. For all I know, you're gonna buy the AR and let it sit in safe. All I'm saying is that the standard is 7075 T6 aluminum. The Troy is made of 6061, which is an inferior material. For the money, you can get better. Even a Palmetto would be better, in terms of materials quality.

I've had mishaps with my ARs. Dropped them. They've gotten whacked while strapped to a four wheeler and stuff like that and are none the worse for the wear. A similar occurrence with a rifle constructed entirely of 6061, may not have been as uneventful.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post

Looks like the one sold in NJ and distributed byTech Ops International is different than the one on their website. It is made with 7075 T6 Aluminum. I confirmed this with Troy Customer Service.

https://techopsinternational.com/pro...earm-9mm-10-5/

Doesn't lock up on last round but still looks good.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    Most of the ones that have LRNHO will stipulate it only works with their bolt, etc. If you are buying a complete gun, that shouldn’t be a problem. I have a Foxtrot Mike with LRBHO that takes Glock mags. The LRBHO works flawlessly but it is all FM parts.

Feedback Score
    i have Foxtrot Mike pistols and they have LRBHO and work well. Sorry, I don't live in a commie state, so no idea if FM items are "allowed" in NJ.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast