Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Last round bolt open on 9mm AR?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Perhaps the best firearm advice I ever got was Clint recommending a FM Glock lower for a 9mm build I was having issues with.

Mine locks open with 15, 17, and 33 rd Glock mags plus 17, 27 rd Magpul mags. It also runs with 115, 124, 147 gr ball and 124 +P and 147 gr gold dots.

I thought I would not care about my AR-9 having LRBHO but would not accept one without it now.

Andy

P.S. It is pretty ugly, but that is the nature of the beast with Glock AR lowers.
    My FM9 lower will be here Tuesday, end of March. It is the Premium lower with SBA-3 and MFT pistol grip.
    I wanted a charging handle not side charge. Picked up a 7" from AIM Surplus. I have Troy Folding and a Holosun RDS for it.
    FM recommended TULA/WOLFE 115gr FMJ Steel case and FED HST 124gr. Did not recommend SubSonic ammo unless suppressed. Glock, ETS and Magpul mags only, no Korean mags, not recommended.
    I can now buy the cheapest 9mm ammo for the price of premium ammo. Dang I wish I still had my Dillion Square Deal B loader set up for 9mm, bucket full of wheel weights, pot and mold. Sizer Lubricator or trade bullets for sizing/lubing.
    But NO, I went and sold it all. I can load 243 Win and 8 MM Mauser on a single stage RCBS.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    I have a PSA Glock 9mm lower that has worked great with any ammo. No issues.
    It doesn’t have a LRBHO. I’m considering getting a FM lower just for that. It’s not the end of the world, but who wouldn’t be ok with an extra lower?
    If I had bought a NON-LRBHO lower, would have treated it like an AK without one. Shoot dry, Rack bolt couple of times and reload. Last Round CLICK, time to reload.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    My FM9 lower will be here Tuesday, end of March. It is the Premium lower with SBA-3 and MFT pistol grip.
    I wanted a charging handle not side charge. Picked up a 7" from AIM Surplus. I have Troy Folding and a Holosun RDS for it.
    FM recommended TULA/WOLFE 115gr FMJ Steel case and FED HST 124gr. Did not recommend SubSonic ammo unless suppressed. Glock, ETS and Magpul mags only, no Korean mags, not recommended.
    I can now buy the cheapest 9mm ammo for the price of premium ammo. Dang I wish I still had my Dillion Square Deal B loader set up for 9mm, bucket full of wheel weights, pot and mold. Sizer Lubricator or trade bullets for sizing/lubing.
    But NO, I went and sold it all. I can load 243 Win and 8 MM Mauser on a single stage RCBS.
    I thought it was interesting that FM said (in the owner's manual with my lower) the Magpul magazines have better tolerances than OEM Glock mags.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-27-21 at 07:52.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I wanted a charging handle not side charge. Picked up a 7" from AIM Surplus. I have Troy Folding and a Holosun RDS for it....
    Nice. Congrats!
    Look for a titanium 9mm firing pin (Palmetto State Armory has one) to have as a spare.
    I have not had any issues with mine, but the firing pin is the weakest point on a 9mm AR.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Not sure if this counts as an actual AR, but I like how my PSA AR-V handles and shoots. LRBHO is well implemented and I like the ambi mag release and use of Scorpion mags.

I polished the feed ramps on the lower and on the barrel using Mothers metal polish and both 124gr +P Gold Dot and 124gr +P Federal HST feed 100%.

arvbootleg_fullbg.jpg
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Is it not recommended to have upper and bottoms by the same brand?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bears4deblife89 View Post
    Is it not recommended to have upper and bottoms by the same brand?
    The AR platform in general is modular in nature with interchangable parts across manufacturers. While it may be preferred to use an upper and lower from the same manufacturer, it is not necessary.

It is important to research parts for compatibility before purchase, of course.

Andy

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    Nice. Congrats!
    Look for a titanium 9mm firing pin (Palmetto State Armory has one) to have as a spare.
    I have not had any issues with mine, but the firing pin is the weakest point on a 9mm AR.
    It was a hard fought battle!!!
    I got my FM9 lower, start snapping the upper in and after front pin locked in the rear pin would not GO. It would stop inside the rear upper loop. I wiggled, twisted, Snapped, Slapped and said a few choice words. I lubed the rear take down pin, the hole on the upper and pushed the TD pin. I used a LARGE (BIG HONKIN ALIGNMENT PUNCH) punch working it until the TD pin slid through. Sweating profusely I refused to try taking it apart. The C19 must have weakened weakened me. I felt like a weakling.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I got my FM9 lower, start snapping the upper in and after front pin locked in the rear pin would not GO. It would stop inside the rear upper loop. I wiggled, twisted, Snapped, Slapped and said a few choice words. I lubed the rear take down pin, the hole on the upper and pushed the TD pin. I used a LARGE (BIG HONKIN ALIGNMENT PUNCH) punch working it until the TD pin slid through. Sweating profusely I refused to try taking it apart. The C19 must have weakened weakened me. I felt like a weakling.
    Time to have fun now.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The FM lowers have a polymer screw to adjust tension between the upper and lower, I hope that was not the problem.

My FM lower is looser than I would like.

EDIT - I mean the fit between my "brand x" upper and the FM lower is looser than I would like.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-13-21 at 20:47.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast