Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Last round bolt open on 9mm AR?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    It was a hard fought battle!!!
    I got my FM9 lower, start snapping the upper in and after front pin locked in the rear pin would not GO. It would stop inside the rear upper loop. I wiggled, twisted, Snapped, Slapped and said a few choice words. I lubed the rear take down pin, the hole on the upper and pushed the TD pin. I used a LARGE (BIG HONKIN ALIGNMENT PUNCH) punch working it until the TD pin slid through. Sweating profusely I refused to try taking it apart. The C19 must have weakened weakened me. I felt like a weakling.
    I had a very similar experience with my first AR9 build. I purchased a FM9 lower from Brownells and the FM 5" tri-lug upper that Primary Arms was selling at the time. I could not put the two together - and I had backed the tensioning screw all the way down. FM was very responsive - they sent me a shipping label for the complete pistol and returned it about two weeks later with a new upper.

The last round hold open worked OK. Most of times it didn't work happened with Glock OEM mags - Pmags seemed to work well. Same thing with the annoyingly frequent FTFs with 147 grain ammo. Alas, those problems were game enders for me - I'm deep in Glock OEM mags and intended to suppress it with subsonic ammo... On the bright side, it was remarkably accurate.

So, I traded up (with full disclosure) for a CMMG Banshee 5". The Banshee has been 100% flawless for over 1000 rounds of all weights, both FMJ and JHP. By flawless, I mean zero failures to feed, fire or extract, and the bolt has locked back on every empty magazine (Pmags and Glock OEM). I guess it better be good, since it was pretty stinking expensive...

Note that I am NOT unhappy with FM - their customer service was solid and I imagine they would have debugged the FTF issue had I given them the chance. But the Banshee opportunity presented itself, and I haven't looked back...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Im digging in on the 9mm AR bandwagon, so I got a Banshee 300 for me (for the roller delay and last round) and picked up a FM from Palmetto while on sale. I figured this one may become the pass-around between dad and myself with one of the pistol cans. Turns out I didnt do enough research, for some reason I thought the side charging front portion was optional and it had a side charging handle on the upper like the side charging ARs I have seen.

Nope, front charging, non-recip at the front of the HG, and an 8.75" handguard so the barrel is recessed about 3". No way to get a can on in the rail, and no rail replacements.

I email FM and they dont sell direct to consumer, and dont offer their side charging handguards with the special cut for their uppers separately, so I cant get the 5" version and keep the barrel with the can out front. To echo Slimedog above, FM was super fast to reply with info about their stuff, offering to send me a new barrel nut when switching barrels if that is what I ended up doing, etc. Seem very solid.

So I find out they USED to make a 10.5" trilug barrel, discontinued at brownells. Then I find a 10.5" from FM at Glockstore. Ordered, instant back order notice AFTER I paid. Cancel that, so I dig around for other 10.5" barrels to swap, and find a Faxon that looks decent. OOS everywhere. Get on a list. Son of a motherless goat, its hard to buy a gun and shoot it when you are an idiot who doesnt pay attention before he hits the "BUY" button.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up with the FM and Pmags, I will add a few of those to the cart so they are ready to go for that one, and Ill use factory mags with the CMMG.

Have you fellas who play with these found that there is any practical difference in handling/feel, or whatever preference for the longer happy sticks, or going with 15/17 round mags for compact-ness or weight?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    It was a hard fought battle!!!
    I got my FM9 lower, start snapping the upper in and after front pin locked in the rear pin would not GO. It would stop inside the rear upper loop. I wiggled, twisted, Snapped, Slapped and said a few choice words. I lubed the rear take down pin, the hole on the upper and pushed the TD pin. I used a LARGE (BIG HONKIN ALIGNMENT PUNCH) punch working it until the TD pin slid through. Sweating profusely I refused to try taking it apart. The C19 must have weakened weakened me. I felt like a weakling.
    I received an email from Foxtrot Mike about this very tight issue. Here was the reply and a I hope this helps.

WELL, BY Jiminy Crickets, The issue is more easily accomplished with no swearing or sweating and only 1 rap of the driver handle
    to do a final seat of the take down pins. Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Grease is what I had and slicked up all points noted in the video.

Quick responses on Emails to Cust/Svc. I also checked threaded fasteners and found 2 with no thread locker. A little BLUE dab will DO. Back together ready to run.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    I have a Colt 6450 that has a last round bolt stop. I am looking to buy a spare in case this one breaks. I use a 4", 8 oz. buffer, so there is no slamming, but I just want a spare.
    My bolt catch has a long tine to catch the mag follower...a standard AR15 bolt catch will not work.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234