Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police use of 00, #1, #4 Buckshot

Feedback Score

Police use of 00, #1, #4 Buckshot

When I was in the academy we used 00 and #4 buckshot. When I worked we had 00 low recoil eight pellet IIRC.

Was there ever a good study done comparing 00 with smaller buckshot effectivness / AAR in Police or military service?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    #1 is the smallest that meets gel and barrier testing.

I don't think it was ever widely used or issued, so doubt there is much of what you are looking for available.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    00 always trumped #4 in penetration.
    Shots much greater than 15 yds were definitely more survivable with the smaller #4 than with 00.
    This first hand knowledge a SMALL sample.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Ok.

#4 seems adequate from a normal barrel at indoor distances.

From a shorter barrel (14 inches), or against heavy clothing, or using at longer ranges, (beyond 25 yds) I dont think the 20 gr pellets can be counted on.

#1 Buck makes more sense. I can see debate between #1 and 00 or 000 for Duty use. #4 is probably only good for HD with the higher velocity loads and longer barrel lengths. (And taking out 5-50 lb animals)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Look through some of Paul Harrel's videos. I think maybe he did some with #1...maybe.....do know there are some with #4 and 00.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulHarrell

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Read Jim Cirillo's book. His experience with 00 was mixed. Mandatory reading..

https://panteao.com/product/guns-bullets-and-gunfights/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    #1 Buck makes more sense.
    Here's a google search to link to a PDF of the Wound Ballistics Review, the journal of the International Wound Ballistics Association which discusses #1 Buckshot:

thinlineweapons.com › IWBA › 1996-Vol2No4
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 07-22-20 at 10:33.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Last I heard my department is going away from #1 buckshot because of flyers. I was also told Federal is removing the #1 buckshot from its LE line because of the same. That was like 9-12 months ago so I'm not sure if things have changed.

We haven't shot anyone with a shotgun in like 10 years and I'm pretty sure the last was 00 buck Flight Control so I can't talk to the effectiveness of it. Pretty much everyone dropped the shotgun and got rifles. There are still guys carrying it, but nowhere near the numbers that were 10+ years ago.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Sounds like most Dept's are using 00 8 pellet flight control (or similar) these days and 2nd to that probably slugs.

Is that an accurate statement?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Sounds like most Dept's are using 00 8 pellet flight control (or similar) these days and 2nd to that probably slugs.

Is that an accurate statement?
    You never know if it is accurate. When I took over the Firearms Unit I asked why we were still ordering Remington reduced recoil 00 buck and slugs instead of Federal Tactical. I was told because we have Remington shotguns. A yes this answer was given to me from another firearms instructor. David

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast