Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Police use of 00, #1, #4 Buckshot

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    You never know if it is accurate. When I took over the Firearms Unit I asked why we were still ordering Remington reduced recoil 00 buck and slugs instead of Federal Tactical. I was told because we have Remington shotguns. A yes this answer was given to me from another firearms instructor. David
    Oh I don't doubt it!

I still remember one of my academy instructors telling the line of us cadets that had just moved back to the 25 yd line with our S&W 9mm's to "aim for the neck because the bullets will drop to center mass at this range."

Obviously myself and a couple others knew better but the rest of the line put holes at neck-level in the targets.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Jesus thats some cringy stuff. Ive been lucky. The firearms training unit at my department has been really good the entire 13 years Ive been here. And the last few years Ive been an instructor, not full time though, it's gotten even better. The detail is full of switched on dudes.

The only other department around here that I know what shotgun shells they use is Az DPS. I cant remember the exact load but it was a 3 inch magnum 00 buckshot and 3 inch slug shells. I only know this because I had a Az Trooper sitting next to me in our LE firearms instructors course.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That flight control, if you had too, is pretty impressive. I tested that out compared to other loads and that stuff works. Did very little work all in all but enough to get first hand knowledge.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    That flight control, if you had too, is pretty impressive. I tested that out compared to other loads and that stuff works. Did very little work all in all but enough to get first hand knowledge.

PB
    I've tried it, too. Cuts pattern size in half and smaller. Cool stuff.

I think Hornady Black does the same. Maybe there are other brands using this shot cup technology?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

PB
    It is neat when fired from a barrel that accepts it, but some will strip the wad even with an open choke.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)

PB

#1B w/Flight Control was the bee's knees...but it's all gone/discontinued/unobtaininum. As below...FC is great if it works with your barrel.

12+ years ago, LE academy preached against #4 and 00 buck and tried to argue that only the slug was appropriate as the #4 crapped out beyond 15y and 00 @25y on a good day. That's no longer the case.

Had an old-school white-haired CQB instructor in SWAT school that had seen multiple generations of CQB stuff. His favorite indoor/CQB weapon was a Benelli M1 14" with #4 buck. He said that an HK91 "solve any problem an individual could be expected to handle".

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    We had 00B, then went to the Flight Control, carried that with the full power slugs and later the low recoil slugs, went sole slugs until transitioning to carbines. All I can say is the 00B flight control will go in one side and out the other of a good sized deer as will the slug.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    My department has taken away our lethal shotguns. A neighboring agency accidentally put a lethal round in a less lethal shotgun and killed somebody.

Since we have patrol rifles, the chief's position is that we don't need lethal shotguns... so all we have now is less lethal shotguns and no lethal shotgun ammo allowed in cars or inside the department buildings.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    My department has taken away our lethal shotguns. A neighboring agency accidentally put a lethal round in a less lethal shotgun and killed somebody.

Since we have patrol rifles, the chief's position is that we don't need lethal shotguns... so all we have now is less lethal shotguns and no lethal shotgun ammo allowed in cars or inside the department buildings.
    Makes sense, I could see how that could be an issue, real easy like.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Makes sense, I could see how that could be an issue, real easy like.

PB
    Despite training, painting the shotgun, putting bright orange furniture on it, etc.

Like pulling the trigger on a Glock for field strip ND, or firing the pistol instead of a Tazer.

You can train, make people sign papers, train again, and still, eventually, someone will screw it up.

Seems like a barrel with a chamber that had some cone to the chamber could fit a specially-shaped LL round but not a standard 2.75 in round yet still feed from the magazine properly. 🤔

Or maybe a 16 gauge LL round? Should still be just a barrel swap and 12 gauge shells wont fit in the chamber.
    Last edited by Ron3; 08-08-20 at 06:30.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast