Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The future of HAM radio

Feedback Score
    Deployed? Forgive me, as I don’t know how a lot of this works, but are HAMs subject to being “deployed” by a government entity or is there some sort of private organization that deploys HAMs? Or was this a “I want to go help on my own” sort of thing?

Good on your for lending a helping hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Amateur radio is like any other specialized hobby...guns, cars, tech, etc...with the same extremes of people.

pinzgauer is spot on... You'd be surprised at who is a HAM, and what they're doing with the hobby. It's not all high school AV club.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What do you guys do, just talk to each other? Kinda like a forum but everyone talks instead of types?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I've enjoyed ham radio for a while, but particularly during the last year. It is pretty cool making friendships with guys across the globe. To me, it makes the world a little smaller. It never ceases to amaze me, that even though the custom and traditions are different across the globe, everyone has much of the same joys, sorrows, happiness and concerns. It's a fun hobby if you connect with others.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    What do you guys do, just talk to each other? Kinda like a forum but everyone talks instead of types?

It is, indeed, the original social media.

Hall monitor is exactly how I describe those jackass types out there...some of them are absurd. Lot of libtard types too.

But there are a heck of alot of good folks out there on the air. The majority are not the hall monitor type.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post

For most people it's just about improving their skills. The goal is to be able to contact people as far away and as reliably as possible, in any number of scenarios with whatever equipment you have at your disposal. Some take it to extremes where they're building their own equipment. Just the basics are pretty extreme by most people's standards though. Merely raising someone local on an HT is a steep enough learning curve to dissuade most people. Lots of trial and error, big boxes full of antennas, and always more questions than answers lol.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    It is, indeed, the original social media.

Hall monitor is exactly how I describe those jackass types out there...some of them are absurd. Lot of libtard types too.

But there are a heck of alot of good folks out there on the air. The majority are not the hall monitor type.
    It's certainly better if you live in flyover territory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12