Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a favorite soft-shell jacket?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    10 fold. Pre Salomon purchase, it was literally some of the best gear I have ever seen in my life. After Salomon, its was awesome stuff but the push away from canada made began. After the Amer Sports sale it was still good stuff with LEAF being exceptional. Now after the Anta Sports deal, it's all the same as TNF, OR, Mountain Hardware, and Patagonia. CS has gone down hill also along with their warranty. It used to be fix or replacement, now it routinely a 50% off coupon to arcteryx.com. TNF and Mountain Hardware have better warranties at this point.

LEAF is still good stuff and if I needed anymore gear I would always see if there was a LEAF option. But it is no longer blow your mind gear.

They are still a leader on the tech side of the house but I think some of the other manufactures are going to start to catch up, TNF in particular.

Not all of it is Arcteryx fault. GORE-TEX in general has gone down hill after they changed how they do their DWR to be more green (kind of like the tenifer with GLOCKS) . Their DWR is garbage now and if I am looking for a new GORE-TEX jacket or pants I search ebay for a very lightly used or NWT XCR which has the older DWR.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Those old Patagucci/MARS softshells are still absolutely baller across a huge range of temperature options.

My cheaper Massif gets the nod most of the time in wind and light rain, just because I'm more willing to wash it, and let it roast in cars the rest of the time.

Practically, what sees the most use during actually cold months are my Costco cheapies, and the standard PortCompany ones with logos of local companies I've done work for (getting to fly drones at the biggest Balloon Fiesta in the world is a unique experience, and that's the swag that comes with that), because I usually don't actually need high performance, just want something that fits to wear my usual work attire under.

I love my older Arcteryx hard shells, and yes, the DWR setup is really where the performance delta has existed - the rest of the work is still brilliant, but if feels bad paying for premium stuff if the raw materials aren't up to it... but I sure as hell have gotten my $2 worth out of that goodwill find, and it feels bad that the newer one isn't as good as something older I paid such a princely sum of money for.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    I spend a lot of time in the mountains in my personal life, as well as on SAR rescues, and have used a lot of different gear. I have pretty much narrowed all my gear down to Arc Teryx and Black Diamond, with my preferred being Arc Teryx. The gear is very well made, very functional, and they have a good warranty program if needed. You definitely pay a premium for it, but it's built to last.

Feedback Score
    I second (or third or fourth) Arc'teryx. I have a very old (2002ish) XCR Theta jacket that is still good to go. But for the original poster's intentions, I would suggest checking out the Patagonia micropuff pullover (and maybe a Sierra Designs Elite Cagoule).

Feedback Score
    Arc'teryx and Patagonia are far left companies that support BLM and other left causes. Don't believe me, then look it up. I know it's hard to get away from leftism when most corporations are promoting it and you don't have an option to buy from somewhere else. But in this case, you do, there are plenty of conservative tactical clothing companies that I have not seen lefty propaganda emanating from.

So when you buy from these corporations and others like them, you are contributing to destroying your way of life, the people you love, cherish and the 2nd amendment.
    Last edited by Ventenberry; 09-02-20 at 19:18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Intended use is the occasional mountain hike, otherwise just everyday wear.
    Is concealed carry or occasional tacticool-use a consideration? If so Viktos make some interesting jackets. Or you can look for one with 3 and 9 o'clock "inverted zippers" that allows rapid access to your firearm. (Anyone knows who else have innovative CCW features on their jackets?)

Otherwise, and speaking of sticker shocks, my favorite place to score a deal is Sierra Trading Post: https://www.sierra.com/jackets~d~11237/

If you sign up for their e-mail news letter, occasionally they will send out "30% off any one item" coupon that stacks with already clearance-priced items. I've scored some Patagonia jackets that list for $300+ (with typical street price at 2 bills) for under $60. Also bought most of my Gore-Tex running shoes there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventenberry View Post
    Arc'teryx and Patagonia are far left companies
    This is interesting as I've never thought about that aspect. I have (and still love) my Arc'teryx jacket, but maybe I shouldn't buy any more...
    Official Account for ValhallaTactical.com. Clever designs for intelligent marksmen.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I am a jacket whore ...
    I am, too - good to know I am in excellent company.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I went with ST911’s recommendation for Beyond Clothing, but had to return it.

Construction was excellent, with excellent materials. Only issue was that from the elbow to the wrist, it was way too snug on me. I have Popeye-type forearms and the BC jacket was just too tight in that area.

Lucked out shortly afterwards and scored a Wild Things Tactical Lightweight soft shell for $140 NWT on Mercari, so that’s what I’m wearing.

Many thanks to the membership for all of the great information and recommendations, I appreciate it very much.

Happy Thanksgiving, Gentlemen ...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    I went with ST911’s recommendation for Beyond Clothing, but had to return it.

Construction was excellent, with excellent materials. Only issue was that from the elbow to the wrist, it was way too snug on me. I have Popeye-type forearms and the BC jacket was just too tight in that area.
    Good to know, sorry it didn't work out. Out of curiosity, which jacket did you try?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Good to know, sorry it didn't work out. Out of curiosity, which jacket did you try?
    It was the A5 Rig lightweight.

It’s not a knock on Beyond at all, as I would gladly buy from them again for any garment that fit my body type well.

Beyond Clothing customer service is top-notch btw.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast