Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a favorite soft-shell jacket?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventenberry View Post
    My original purpose for my post was to alert fellow righty's that if they were spending their money on Arcteryx, Patagonia and other clothing, they were spending their money on leftist causes. I'm not really interested in debating which jacket has this cool feature or not, or did the U.S. government buy some of their product, etc.

Again, they are basically the same materials of polyester, nylon, cotton, spandex and other common fabrics that Arcteryx did not invent but use for marketing purposes.

I don't buy anything from Starbucks and other lefty companies and when I can I buy from somewhere else.

A softshell jacket is a jacket to me, only major difference is how thick it is. I don't care about a silly little dinosaur print. You people are as bad as Democrats trying to virtue signal, but in this case you are signaling a supposedly important "operator" status.
    Sounds like you're not the target demographic for this kind of clothing; I don't see any provided alternate brands, and your comments suggest that you don't actually understand why many of us buy clothing from these brands. Features matter when you're using the equipment for its intended environment. For me, running around with a softshell jacket isn't about being "operator", it's about having a jacket that is water and wind resistant that still has good breathability, while being used as an outer layer in my layering system, while potentially wearing specialized gear, such as helmets, rucks, harnesses, etc., so those various features and specific cuts absolutely make a difference for my use case, far beyond just the material used.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    I bought 2 of Beyond’s foreign made jacks on Black Friday. They appear well made with no branding, which I like. No issues with my normal forearms, unlike some massif jackets.
    Which ones?

Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    Then again, it's really hard for me to worry about how 'every dollar spent is a vote', because I'm finding absurd stuff like BetaAR's at Goodwill for $2.
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Generally any rich ski town like Jackson Hole or Bolder will have amazing treats at goodwill. My brother picked up a pair of Beta Gore-Tex bibs that were maybe used twice for $25. Always worth your time if you are there on vacation especially in the summer when your only competition is the locals cleaning out their closets.
    I taught my kids some brand and gear ID for our Goodwill/Salvation Army/pawn shop sweeps. They have delivered in spades, and are rewarded handsomely.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Generally any rich ski town like Jackson Hole or Bolder will have amazing treats at goodwill
    Boulder Colorado is not even close to same wealth category as JH. FYI

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I’m a yuge Arc’teryx fanboy. Pound for pound, build quality, and effectiveness, they’re fantastic. I have tons of issues stuff and some stuff from other companies like Otte and while all decent, my Arcteryx is a legit step above. They replaced a $600 Goretex jacket for me too, after deciding it had worn prematurely. The most effective cold and wet weather stuff and the most comfortable hot weather stuff I own is all dead bird. I’ll likely be putting more to a real test in a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I got the Testa and the Velox, both from the K5 series.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventenberry View Post
    My original purpose for my post was to alert fellow righty's that if they were spending their money on Arcteryx, Patagonia and other clothing, they were spending their money on leftist causes. I'm not really interested in debating which jacket has this cool feature or not, or did the U.S. government buy some of their product, etc.

Again, they are basically the same materials of polyester, nylon, cotton, spandex and other common fabrics that Arcteryx did not invent but use for marketing purposes.

I don't buy anything from Starbucks and other lefty companies and when I can I buy from somewhere else.

A softshell jacket is a jacket to me, only major difference is how thick it is. I don't care about a silly little dinosaur print. You people are as bad as Democrats trying to virtue signal, but in this case you are signaling a supposedly important "operator" status.
    Except thats completely false. Theres a huge difference is cut and fitment between brands not to mention the sitching, zippers quality, placement of said zippers ect. My $40 Polartec fleece pullover has no where near the fit and comfort of a $150 Arc product, same material, night and day difference in quality. Is it 3-4x better? Thats up to you to decide but for me fitment makes a HUGE difference in terms of warmth and comfort. Thats not even going into the more complicated pieces like pants where joint articulation, gusseted seats, strechy materials at the joints, tougher materials in high wear areas ect.Thats the stuff Arc is really good at. If you use your gear alot you'll start to notice these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Attack View Post
    I like my Triple Aught Design Stealth Hoodie LT although the they have gone up in price quite a bit in the 12 years I have owned it.
    https://tripleaughtdesign.com/shop/stealth-hoodie-lt/
    I bought into them when they ~$350 and that was hard pill to swallow. Now that they're $400-500, f*** that. I ditched my Stealth around 5-6 years ago for Arc softshells. Does 95% of what the fancy Scholler fabrics do and I dont have to deal with sitting there with a blow dryer after washing to reactivate my DWR because of Scholler's NO DRYER tag. I just throw all my Arc stuff into the dryer.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-03-21 at 03:16.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Just some facts to understand what you are supporting when buying Arc products

-Arc’teryx manufactures a large quantity of product in China.(which is actually a good thing in terms of quality and DWR effectiveness)
    -Arc’teryx is owned by Amer Sports, which is in turn owned by a consortium led by Chinese-owned Anta Sports.
    -Arc’teryx like pretty much every brand is going woke.
    -Xi Jinping wears Arc parkas:

While I love Arc products I suggest buying alternatives or second-hand when you can. Some problems with this: the stuff that is on par with Arc gear and made in Western countries are typically out of my price range. You get cucked DWR due to environmental standards.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 02-19-21 at 15:16.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post

While I love Arc products I suggest buying alternatives or second-hand when you can. Some problems with this: the stuff that is on par with Arc gear and made in Western countries are typically out of my price range. You get cucked DWR due to environmental standards.
    Here is a good link for American made clothing and gear. Prices seem on par with Arc'Teryx. I have no idea about the quality.

https://www.americangearguide.com/
    Last edited by Ventenberry; 02-20-21 at 17:43.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    No love for North Face here?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    No love for North Face here?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast