Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a favorite soft-shell jacket?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    No love for North Face here?
    Their niche these days seems to be the urban-outdoors and fashion crowd. There's both better and worse.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    They dropped off the map around the same time that Arcteryx took off in 2000-2002. They chose fashion over the rest of their line and they stopped doing R&D in the Everest / K2 side of the house (their halo line). There was a time in the 90s that only brand you saw on base camp was TNF. When they started to fall off in the early 2000s, Arcteryx ate their lunch on the climbing side and Mountain hardware and a few other companies ate their lunch on Everest and the other high altitude climb side.

They have decided to reinvest and started doing R&D in the last 5 years and their new Futurelight fabric which is as soft as cotton, totally waterproof, and breaths better than gore tex is proving to be the real deal but needs some more time to prove itself from a durability standpoint. They need to make some better decisions on weight and features but they are doing much better in those areas with their summit series. It will take a few years but that will all trickle down to the rest of their lines.

Dollar for dollar TNF is the best bang for your buck and still one of the best warranties in the business. If you dont need the feature set that you get with some of the more technical brands you can't really go wrong with TNF.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    They dropped off the map around the same time that Arcteryx took off in 2000-2002. They chose fashion over the rest of their line and they stopped doing R&D in the Everest / K2 side of the house (their halo line). There was a time in the 90s that only brand you saw on base camp was TNF. When they started to fall off in the early 2000s, Arcteryx ate their lunch on the climbing side and Mountain hardware and a few other companies ate their lunch on Everest and the other high altitude climb side.

They have decided to reinvest and started doing R&D in the last 5 years and their new Futurelight fabric which is as soft as cotton, totally waterproof, and breaths better than gore tex is proving to be the real deal but needs some more time to prove itself from a durability standpoint. They need to make some better decisions on weight and features but they are doing much better in those areas with their summit series. It will take a few years but that will all trickle down to the rest of their lines.

Dollar for dollar TNF is the best bang for your buck and still one of the best warranties in the business. If you dont need the feature set that you get with some of the more technical brands you can't really go wrong with TNF.
    I have a ton of their stuff and always liked it more than other brands I'd tried hoping to save a few $. Sure, they're also making stuff to appeal to the urban kids and such, but still seem to offer good options. Since moving to FL, have not had much use for a lot what I own, but still use their rain jacket, shells, etc.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    To pile on The North Face, I saw this link/article in another forum and their parent company, VF Corporation discriminates against Anglo's.

https://www.kwtx.com/2020/12/11/nort...d-gas-company/

https://www.vfc.com/news/press-relea...and-actions-to
    Last edited by Ventenberry; 02-20-21 at 16:41.

Feedback Score
    I’d probably go naked before buying from a company as woke a North Face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Arcteryx / Beyond Clothing / Outdoor Research.

I lucked out into a dead bird Beta AR for 60% off, got an Atom LT as a gift, and one of their rando fleece hoodies from a friend that outgrew it via weightlifting. So, I am the lucky sort that has 3 pieces of their stuff and only paid $240 for the whole mess of it.

If you can get their gear 20-25% off (and you can, they run sales two to three times a year) it takes some of the sting out.

I practically live in my Atom LT. It is the single best fitting, most useful garment of its type. Light, packable, great fit, allows me to climb or work or hike or or or or or without riding up in the back or at the wrists or getting tight across the shoulders and back. Warm, but vents well. Just enough DWR to give me time to put something else on / shake it off when I get inside. It comes with me wherever I go.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 02-22-21 at 11:11.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    Arcteryx / Beyond Clothing / Outdoor Research.

I lucked out into a dead bird Beta AR for 60% off, got an Atom LT as a gift, and one of their rando fleece hoodies from a friend that outgrew it via weightlifting. So, I am the lucky sort that has 3 pieces of their stuff and only paid $240 for the whole mess of it.

If you can get their gear 20-25% off (and you can, they run sales two to three times a year) it takes some of the sting out.

I practically live in my Atom LT. It is the single best fitting, most useful garment of its type. Light, packable, great fit, allows me to climb or work or hike or or or or or without riding up in the back or at the wrists or getting tight across the shoulders and back. Warm, but vents well. Just enough DWR to give me time to put something else on / shake it off when I get inside. It comes with me wherever I go.
    $259! Have you lost your mind?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have been in Arc’Teryx gear for about the last 10-12 years. I have yet to find anything that comes close to the gear quality/performance/warranty. I have pretty much transitioned to all ArcTeryx gear.

That said, in today’s climate, I bet you would be hard-pressed to find a big company that is NOT woke (I may be wrong, but sure doesn’t seem like it).
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    I’d probably go naked before buying from a company as woke a North Face

Buying a brand preferred by head of the Chincoms does not exactly warm my heart either, maybe even less than one that's gone full woke retard, but seems many here are using that brand. I'd like to purchase from US owned / made companies owned/run by woke morons, but also just don't always have time to see who is producing what these days. NF has made some good stuff for the $ over the years. I will endeavor to do betters!
    Last edited by WillBrink; 02-22-21 at 14:11.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Buying a brand preferred by head of the Cincoms does not exactly warm my heart either, maybe even less than one that's gone full woke retard, but seems many here are using that brand. I'd like to purchase from US owned / made companies owned/run by woke morons, but also just don't always have time to see who is producing what these days. NF has made some good stuff for the $ over the years. I will endeavor to do betters!
    That’s all we can do. We can’t buy 100% American or 100% patriotic all the time. We have to fight our battles. I try to use the litmus test of “will money I spend with this company be used against my 2A rights?”

I quit buying Levi’s jeans that I’d worn since I was a kid, having worn the same style for over 20 years. It was hard to change.

Then I bought a coupe Aimpoint dots recently even though Holosun does 95% of what I would need a dot to do, at an increased cost of $600 for similar products. If I can buy from somebody who isn’t an enemy without detriment tot he financial well-being of my family, I will.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast