Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The UNLOVED GUN - the FNX 9

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The UNLOVED GUN - the FNX 9

https://www.m4carbine.net/google.php...=1673j879475j5

Nice thread above - one of the really great things about M4C.

Got the itch and while the panic is on, decided to get something. Missed a chance at ANOTHER P30S 3 weeks ago - nuts - finally have mine shooting like a house afire. Because no one wants one, I found an FNX 9 on GunPrime and Voila - it is here. BTW - no one cares about these. Even on the FN Forum no one cares.

Took it to the range. It is ACCURATE. It is reliable (OK so far but look above). It is ALL ambi. It is LIGHT - the lightest hammer gun made (double stack). The SA is decent. The DA is (too) heavy but REALLY smooth.
    But.... if you do HIGH hand hold the safety WILL kill you. I get very high. I was concerned about this, because I've read it, and felt it in the shop, but bit anyway - and it bit me.

I THINK I want to make it work, so I'm doing a bunch of dry fire and have adjusted my support hand so my firing hand doesn't get all tied up in the (misplaced) safety. Why? It seems to be a VERY well made and lightweight ambi piece, and worth the trouble.

Has anyone dehorned the safety? You can buy the parts and use one set to work on.

Also, I think this thing will light rounds with no primer. The hammer hits like Dick Butkus. They overbuilt the hammer spring for sure - if one could take 2-3 LBS off, they'd be amazing. Just some initial comments.
    Last edited by m4brian; 07-17-20 at 16:44.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I picked one up years ago with 3 mags for $400 or so. Shot it, liked it, very accurate, good operations and controls but never loved it. Traded it for another Glock 19 and LGS gave me $375 on the trade......

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Are those the bendy ones?

Love me some FN rifles... pistols? Not so much...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Are those the bendy ones?

Love me some FN rifles... pistols? Not so much...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?edufil...&v=mdTsFB1ejo8

Yes - see below - just happened - the magwell is NOT like the above - but it is a fail weapon.
    This is a HIGHLY circulated video, I do believe that this was a lemon - but mine was not nearly as flexy, but nonetheless a fail. (Maybe not, see below).

I AM actually testing my FNX 9 now. It is laying out in full sun on a hot day. Its been there for some time and while the trigger OT seems less, we'll see if it bottoms out the trigger - especially in DA. The DA is very heavy (probably 11 LBS) but smooth. In the heat it is nicer and smoother. I DO think the plastic is more flexible than the P30. Is it as bad as the DA/SA Canik CZ plastic clone ?- no way...

Update - OOOOPS. I just got the trigger to bottom out. Time to contact FN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, by warming it up in the sun, the trigger bottomed out and I swear the mag dropped out without pressing the release. WOW! I do NOT recommend this as a purchase. Don't buy them. I'll see what FN does.

Fuel to the fire: I think that FN does not send you a shipping label. WOW - HUGE disappointment. I would not have purchased it if I knew this.
    Last edited by m4brian; 07-18-20 at 12:43.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Are you serious Clark?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?edufil...&v=mdTsFB1ejo8

Yes - see below - just happened - the magwell is NOT like the above - but it is a fail weapon.
    This is a HIGHLY circulated video, I do believe that this was a lemon - but mine was not nearly as flexy, but nonetheless a fail. (Maybe not, see below).

I AM actually testing my FNX 9 now. It is laying out in full sun on a hot day. Its been there for some time and while the trigger OT seems less, we'll see if it bottoms out the trigger - especially in DA. The DA is very heavy (probably 11 LBS) but smooth. In the heat it is nicer and smoother. I DO think the plastic is more flexible than the P30. Is it as bad as the DA/SA Canik CZ plastic clone ?- no way...

Update - OOOOPS. I just got the trigger to bottom out. Time to contact FN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, by warming it up in the sun, the trigger bottomed out and I swear the mag dropped out without pressing the release. WOW! I do NOT recommend this as a purchase. Don't buy them. I'll see what FN does.

Fuel to the fire: I think that FN does not send you a shipping label. WOW - HUGE disappointment. I would not have purchased it if I knew this.
    I saw that video too- have they corrected it,or just ditched that model? FN seems to jump from design to design.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Are you serious Clark?
    Shitter’s full.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddbtoth View Post
    I saw that video too- have they corrected it,or just ditched that model? FN seems to jump from design to design.
    The vid exposes what I think is a lemon FNX 45. I do NOT think FN messes up that bad on their guns in general. Mine was warmed in the sun for 30 min in an ambient temp of 90 deg or less. For it to fail with my right and left hand is definitely unsat. This is NOT a "MAC" torture test. Laid in the sun before noon, not hot to hold - nada. Fail with both hands.

I CAN get this to happen in ONE of my CZ P guns using my left hand, using a hair dryer to heat, and with a gun that has a VERY modified trigger bar to reduce reset. Not the same.

I will likely ditch this gun because of this and the safety/decocker is not well positioned, AND because I have found the sauce in working on the P30 trigger - it may become my go to.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have an FNP9 as a house gun. I haven't handled the FNX, but I believe they are largely similar in the grip/magwell area.

The lower part of the magazine well is thin and can flex if squeezed, but it's tapered and channeled. It gets thicker higher up the frame. The mag doesn't touch the grip walls until about where the trigger guard connects to the grip. Have had it out on some very hot Southern California ranges and I never saw or felt anything that squishy.

I like it. Accurate. Nice trigger. No hiccups in about 1500 rounds.

The video is 4+ years old. Curious about a follow up.
    Last edited by mrbieler; 07-18-20 at 23:03.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I loved mine. I treated it like crap, didn't clean it, threw it in mud puddles like a moron. Great gun. I have one mag for it floating around here if anybody needs it.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast