Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The UNLOVED GUN - the FNX 9

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Got my FNX 9 back from SC. It seems to pass the hair dryer test - again, this gun choked on DA OT after mild heating when new. I put it on consignment for a month, and it didn't sell. Maybe that is good. Picked it back up and took it to the range. It was shooting OK alongside my slicked up P30 and I generally fired the P30 better - especially in DA/SA pairs, etc. I was about the leave the range, so I thought, 'why not try each at 20 yards DA only'. I was quite surprised that even with the heavy DA pull, the FNX did better - in fact, its the best I've done at 20 yards off hand than I remember. So, I am rethinking the gun.

CONS:

Mags are expensive even compared to HK.

I cannot really service and mess with it myself. This means something to me. I will caveat - you can get the FCG out and replace with OEM, and this is good. BUT... I cannot mess with hammer, FP, FPB springs, etc. (For many this is OK).

Some of these have issues with DA and frame interface. Because FNH has 'dialed down the OT', some will choke in DA and heat (frame expansion). At least that is my diagnosis - but once you 'test out' of this, I think it is GTG. Again, I'm an FNX novice, but this is my theory. The gun SEEMS constructed fairly well otherwise, so I'm willing to keep and shoot the crap out of it, if people QUIT buying cases of 9mm at $400-700.

Safety is not well situated for shooting - perhaps the worst CON. The bottom rear tends to bite and that bites. One can train around, but this is dumb. One of these days, I may BUY another and do some smithing.

No OEM supressor barrels.

PROS

The lightest DA/SA avaiable.

Glock X configuration.

Serrations and slide shape are strong.

Decent OTB sights. We are hopefully nearing the end of the three dot craze, but these are decent and durable.

Short extractor - easy to service.

Full rail and it looks decent on the gun.

Full ambi controls that work. Yes, a paddle release and better safety would make this gun almost perfect, the ambi mag release is pretty functional. Slide release is very nice - wish CZ P07 would inherit.

Takedown is so easy, and the slide comes off easily without decocking.

Stippling isn't bad. I may buy another backstrap and add to the 'gratiness' but not bad as is.

I like the mag finish and they seem to function and drop well.

Trigger shape is superb. It is totally smooth, wide enough, and allows the finger to slip down as you pull the DA - very nice.

DA - its heavy, but the smoothness and low OT get the job done fairly well. Again, I was surprised at 20 yards. There IS a bit of stacking at the rear, but this actually aids in steadiness if you train in DA. If t).he DA was a tad lighter, it might be the best OTB DA avaiable. (Maybe not the SP 2022, which can vary gun to gun).

SA is very good. Sure, there is that 'CZ camming', but it releases light and crisp. ALL I've seen are like this.

Recoil system seems very good and the gun handles well for being this light.

Mag well 'funneling' is excellent for a stock gun.

The gun looks manly. Just think it does.

From the brilliant thread here on trying to break one, https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...Break-my-FNX-9, these guns are reliable and durable if you get a good one (which despite my experience, I'm willing to think most are). I'll have to admit that that old thread helped keep my curiosity high enough to try it out.
    Last edited by m4brian; 09-26-20 at 15:44.

Feedback Score
    I owned an FNP-45 when they first came out. I sold it and don't regret it one bit. Everything on the gun felt flimsy and cheap. The controls were thin metal and thin plastic and easily bent. The grip texture was so abrasive that it caused the skin on my palm to be roughed up. The finish on the inside of the mags was flaking off.

I think the reason the FNX isn't popular is because most people don't really like DA/SA firearms and if they do, there are more popular options out there like Berettas or CZs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
    I owned an FNP-45 when they first came out. I sold it and don't regret it one bit. Everything on the gun felt flimsy and cheap. The controls were thin metal and thin plastic and easily bent. The grip texture was so abrasive that it caused the skin on my palm to be roughed up. The finish on the inside of the mags was flaking off.

I think the reason the FNX isn't popular is because most people don't really like DA/SA firearms and if they do, there are more popular options out there like Berettas or CZs.
    I had a FNP9 USG when they first came out. It was my first handgun actually. I feel the same about it as you did about the .45 and sold it fairly quickly. My additional gripe was that the grip material was so soft that mags wouldn't drop free when I had a two hand grip on it. Haven't looked at any FN handguns since. Ok I lied the 5.7 looks fun.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123