Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tavor X95

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    But did they do that because the Commando is straight up better or because it's so much less expensive. From a value standpoint, virtually nothing can compare to M16 variants.
    A Tier 1 unit likely doesn't have financial issues when it comes to firearms...

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    My guess is they mimic US tier-one groups. It makes the most sense given the fact that our warfighters have the most experience (although the Israelis have quite a bit of day-to-day hassles). If the USA Tier one guys swapped to some new rifle I assume it would slowly trickle through all the free-world tier-one groups pretty fast. That being said, I love my commando!IMG_3530 by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

Also of note, when I was in Israel a few years back I didn't see a single Tavor. All I saw were Colt pencil barreled carbines and one terrible chassis carbine on a Jericho.

IMG_3035 by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

IMG_3415 by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

Bonus guns from the Palestinian territory...

IMG_4203 by stoiclawyer, on Flickr
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    But did they do that because the Commando is straight up better or because it's so much less expensive. From a value standpoint, virtually nothing can compare to M16 variants.
    Commando is straight up better for the job they do. Money is not the issue.

Feedback Score
    I have an FDE X95, and I do like it, but it’s not better than an AR. However, it is different, and it is better at some things. That gives it a leg up over a gun like a SCAR16 or Bren, because they don’t really do anything better than an AR except empty your pockets. In the USA, its big advantage is providing a weapon as short as say a 7.5” AR, but it’s not NFA, so traveling with it is much easier. If you are one of those needing a rifle, but want something easy to pack in a vehicle, well this is your weapon.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If the regular infantry can afford a rifle tier 1 units can as well. In this case the value arguement can be out right dismissed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post

Also of note, when I was in Israel a few years back I didn't see a single Tavor. All I saw were Colt pencil barreled carbines and one terrible chassis carbine on a Jericho.
    When I was there last year, in Jerusalem it was a mix of both M4 and X95.

All security check points outside of the big cities have X95s.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    You guys that have them, are you happy with them?
    I owned a 16” FDE X95 for about a year. The idea was to use it as a travel/vacation gun.

It was functional. But I ended up selling it off. The issues for me were:

The offset for the X95 is greater than for the AR. Not an issue if the X95 was your primary gun. But I carry a 16” AR at work, and have several years of training behind the AR platform. So much so that the offsets when in close come natural to me. Yes, this is just a training issue. But...

Accuracy for my X95 wasn’t up to what I could get from my AR’s. I could outshoot my X95 with any of my Colt 6920’s. Especially if shooting from a bench. Shooting the X95 from a bench or from the prone is a challenge. It can be done, but it’s slower to do while achieving the same results. At least for me. This was comparing it to a carbine gassed Colt 6920. When I compared the X95 to my Midlength, free floated DDV7, the difference was even greater.

The X95 was a good gun if you perceived your engagement being up close and/or inside of a building. But once you stepped outside of the building and had to engage a threat from the other side of the parking lot, the performance of the bullpup X95 started to lag behind the AR platform. At least for me.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I owned a 16” FDE X95 for about a year. The idea was to use it as a travel/vacation gun.

It was functional. But I ended up selling it off. The issues for me were:

The offset for the X95 is greater than for the AR. Not an issue if the X95 was your primary gun. But I carry a 16” AR at work, and have several years of training behind the AR platform. So much so that the offsets when in close come natural to me. Yes, this is just a training issue. But...

Accuracy for my X95 wasn’t up to what I could get from my AR’s. I could outshoot my X95 with any of my Colt 6920’s. Especially if shooting from a bench. Shooting the X95 from a bench or from the prone is a challenge. It can be done, but it’s slower to do while achieving the same results. At least for me. This was comparing it to a carbine gassed Colt 6920. When I compared the X95 to my Midlength, free floated DDV7, the difference was even greater.

The X95 was a good gun if you perceived your engagement being up close and/or inside of a building. But once you stepped outside of the building and had to engage a threat from the other side of the parking lot, the performance of the bullpup X95 started to lag behind the AR platform. At least for me.
    Going to have to speak a bit to this. What kind of accuracy are you expecting to need in a self defense or combat rifle? I sometimes think out expectations have gotten to be way to high. Lets use your example. I step outside of a building and for some crazy reason have to engage a target across a parking lot. Lets say the target is 300 feet away. Which is the size of a good sized parking lot for a mid sized business. So at 100 yards you can expect a 2-3 inch group from an X95. Lets be completely honest here. At that range, in a 2 way range environment, that is going to be far more accurate than almost any shooter is. And that is st ill accurate enough to brain someone at that range if you are in that .01% of shooters who could keep that cool and make that kind of shot while being shot at.

If you have it as a travel/vacation gun then you need to judge it by those standards not the bench.

Here is an image from a parking lot I pulled up. The blue line is 275 feet. Look how far that is. Do you really ever think you are going to be engaging targets at that range? If so then where are you going on vacation? Most engagements are going to be from at about 50 feet. And at that range the accuracy is even less of an issue. distance.PNG
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    I've got both the X95 and SAR. Prefer the handling characteristics of the X95. Very fast to use out to 100yds. No, it won't win any high power matches, but it is accurate enough. A 16" barreled 5.56 carbine in an oal just over 26" is pretty handy.

BTW, both Tavors have been highly reliable almost boringly so.
    Last edited by Bubba FAL; 07-30-20 at 19:37.

Feedback Score
    I wanted either an AR pistol or a Tavor, and ended up getting a lefty X95. I have not had any accuracy issues, probably because I'm not that accurate, and never shoot at more than 100 yds. After getting my AR pistol, a 11.5" BCM kind of like Mr. Bell's up there, I can say that for the same job (truck gun) the 11.5" AR is superior overall for ease of use, and the fact that my right-handed wife can use it, too... My work carbine is an 11.5" Colt, set up the same, so I have a lot of training and reps with that, but nothing close to a lot of the guys on here.

Having said that, I love my X95. It's more fun for me to shoot.. I won't ever get rid of it, it is built like a tank, feels good on the shoulder, and I want to get better with it. Maybe when I retire I'll get to an IWI class, that would be really cool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12