Thread: Training my 10y old

Feedback Score

Training my 10y old

Hi,

I'm getting my 10y old son a 15-22. He's been running my SR15/NX8, but the whole set up is too heavy for him and the recoil is inducing a flinch. I want to get him an optic that has some magnification so he can call his own 22 shots at 100y and is something he can use to transition between multiple steel targets. Was thinking like an PA ACSS 1-6 -- but I don't know what is the most forgiving scope that will help him learn a variety of disciplines. He doesn't like my red dots, and he already knows how to use iron sights.

Key features:
    1) 1x base with 4-8x upper end
    2) Super forgiving eye box
    3) Light
    4) Not el-crapo--something he can put on future rifles and grow with.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Keep an eye out for good deals on Viper PST Gen 2 1-6s. $500 is a good deal. Anything better is a screaming deal. Weight might be an issue but perhaps getting a lightweight mount would cut the difference. Other than that it should check all your boxes. And lifetime warranty so he can literally grow old with that bad boy.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Keep an eye out for good deals on Viper PST Gen 2 1-6s. $500 is a good deal. Anything better is a screaming deal. Weight might be an issue but perhaps getting a lightweight mount would cut the difference. Other than that it should check all your boxes. And lifetime warranty so he can literally grow old with that bad boy.
    Thanks -- I'm more worried about him putting his cheddar goldfish fingers on the glass more than him breaking a scope. Will go the Vortex route.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Make sure to teach him good shooting hygiene to avoid lead contamination. All that black "carbon" in an AR has a lot of lead in it and primers are lead styphnate. Lead really ****s up kids. D-lead soap after the range, promptly cleaning range clothes, and not eating at the range takes out the vast majority of lead exposure.

Feedback Score
    The PST is def a better scope than the PA SLX series if you are willing to spend another $200

The Steiner P4Xi is 4x on the high end but a bit lighter. These have gotten more expensive lately but would be a good option as well IMO. Meopta Optika 1-6 is very solid as well

PA does make a 1-6 with a 22 ACSS reticle that would be worth a look as well

The best value (cheap) 1-6 is the Burris RT6 IMO at $350. You could also check Natchez and otehr sites for close-out xtr 2 1-5 scopes. They have been around 400-500

Feedback Score
    Have fun! Started out my son at that age with 22s- cz455 VPT, 15-22, and a m&p 22pistol. He’s 15 now and even at 14 he ran a full sized AR15 like a beast. Of course he is a beast at over 6’1. Nothing like an afternoon at the range with some ar15-22s and a dueling tree and some targets and a timer...
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    I have the pst gen2 2-10, its heavy but I can generally see 22cal holes at 100 with it. And with a qd mount like the adm, you could move it across multiple guns. I switch my ar between a red dot and the pst constantly and with the adm it holds zero well. I know their are better qd than the adm at returning to zero, but I like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good starting them out early with good habits. Started my daughter at around 15 and she has shot quite a few 2 gun tactical matches. With starting so young she has excellent trigger control and safety skills.