Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Aimpoint Micro - The Best Red Dot In The World

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

The Aimpoint Micro - The Best Red Dot In The World

In 2007 Aimpoint released the best red dot ever made, the Aimpoint Micro series (T1/H1/S1).

Thirteen years later and still nothing has come close to outdoing it. You basically have five options if you want an optic:

1. Eotech
      Preemption: I know a yellow named SME brodude is gonna be along shortly to piss and moan about how awesome Eotechs are but he's wrong. Thermal Drift issues not withstanding, they are bigger, heavier, and the reticle is more complicated. Check this out EoTechies - With an Aimpoint you bring the rifle up and wherever the "red" is, is where the bullet is going (<150 yards). This makes target acquisition extremely fast. You don't need a big ass circle telling your eye where the tiny aiming dot is - this is a crutch. I agree that an Eotech is more precise for longer distance shooting, but why on earth would you run a CQB optic if your goal is to shoot precisely at >150 yards?
    2. Magnified Optics
      I was an Acog fanboy forever (#USMC) and more recently became a NF NX8 1-8 fan. These optics are great, but they fill different roles than a red dot. Barring insane amounts of training, and all other variables remaining equal, you will be faster at <50y shooting with the Aimpoint than you will be with an ACOG. The NX8 is awesome for a 16" gun and is damn near a game changer, but it's heavy. An NX8 with a mount weighs 5x more than a T1 with a mount. Magnification rocks when you aren't shooting bright steel targets spray painted white, but the simplicity of the Micro series cannot be beat for typical engagements.
    3. Trash
      People buy Holosun/Sig/Etc because they are cheap. Period. No one in the history of the world who began an optic search with the goal of getting something of quality has said "You know what? I'm gonna pass on the T2 and M5. I'm actually gonna buy the HS403R because it's better." I don't understand these people. I also don't understand people who wait in line for two hours to get a free Entree at Applebee's on Veteran's Day. You're saving $8.99, guys.
    4. 30mm Aimpoints (Pro/Comp M2/M4/etc)
      These are great. They're just needlessly larger and heavier than the Micros, so why bother? Disclaimer: I own two.
    5. Aimpoint Micro (T1/T2/H1/H2/etc)
      The Best - The End.

I've used the Aimpoint micro on AR15s, Shotguns, Pistols, Pistol Caliber Carbines, .22s, and submachine guns. Aside from a precision rifle rig, I can't imagine any type of firearm it would not be at home on.

Final thought: I bought an Aimpoint H1 from GTF425 a few months ago. He was one day delayed in shipping it out to me compared to his estimated shipping date. To make up for this "delay", he gave me (at no cost) a "lifetime supply of batteries" for my H1. This consisted of one CR2032 in the optic, and one spare. Try doing that with an Eotech.

*Does anyone know how to get an attached photo to embed?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 07-22-20 at 12:01.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    The only reason I like EOTechs is that I can instantly alternate between IR and vis settings for passive aiming under NODs. Outside of that incredibly niche function, it does nothing that an Aimpoint doesn't do except weigh more and have 1/100th of the battery life.

It's hard to go wrong with a Micro zeroed at 200y on an AR.
    Last edited by GTF425; 07-19-20 at 10:58.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I pretty much agree with everything stated based on my experience.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My T1 is a decade old. I don't recall how much I spent on it, but I'm guessing it works out to like $50/year. No scratch that, more like $51/year including the replacement batteries. It still works though so that cost of ownership will keep going down.

There was a time I thought the PA and Holosun red dots made sense on non defensive use guns, but that was foolish thinking on my part. The COVID panic allowed me to offload them at little to no loss and were replaced by Aimpoints on those same non defensive use guns.

You know what a proper flex is? My 11 year old with her M&P 15-22 and a T1 dunking on the boomers at the range with their Sig Romeos. Nothing like having some Wilfred Brimley looking dude tell you it's foolish to spend that much on a red dot for a kid's rifle. Lmao go be poor somewhere else.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post

You know what a proper flex is? My 11 year old with her M&P 15-22 and a T1 dunking on the boomers at the range with their Sig Romeos. Nothing like having some Wilfred Brimley looking dude tell you it's foolish to spend that much on a red dot for a kid's rifle. Lmao go be poor somewhere else.
    Why aren’t we best friends?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Why aren’t we best friends?
    I think we just became best friends.
    Last edited by Five_Point_Five_Six; 07-19-20 at 13:43.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

The Aimpoint Micro - The Best Red Dot In The World

I still think they’re overrated but agree that the T2 may be the best RDS available aside from maybe the CompM5. The T1 however, is garbage when magnified and apparently it’s parralax issues are not insignificant compared to other designs.

I’m also not convinced that others don’t come close. Hate on Holosuns all you want, but some people have put them through a lot of shit and they seem to do pretty well. Their features (switchable reticle alone) are definitely giving Aimpoint a run though. I think it’ll be a long time before they’re proven to compete with Aimpoint’s durability/reliability, but so far it doesn’t seem impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 07-19-20 at 13:50.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Eotech has fit my needs well in the past due to large window and small dot. Add a 3x and its like a LPVO for 20yo eyes, and is awesome in CQB. Its a fast optic.

I use a T2 on my main squeeze because I can leave it on forever and its light and tiny. Also have Eotech, CompM4, Steiner, Zeiss, Sig. REASONS. Still thinking about grabbing another ACOG. But then I’ll need another RMR.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    The only optic that I feel comes close is the Trijicon MRO.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I still think they’re overrated but agree that the T2 may be the best RDS available aside from maybe the CompM5. The T1 however, is garbage when magnified and apparently it’s parralax issues are not insignificant compared to other designs.

I’m also not convinced that others don’t come close. Hate on Holosuns all you want, but some people have put them through a lot of shit and they seem to do pretty well. Their features (switchable reticle alone) are definitely giving Aimpoint a run though. I think it’ll be a long time before they’re proven to compete with Aimpoint’s durability/reliability, but so far it doesn’t seem impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    See, I've heard that about the T1, but I run a magnifier behind mine from time to time and all I have is a crisp dot. I don't have any vision problems though, and maybe it's something that only manifests itself with people who do but is only recognizable under magnification.

As far as multiple reticles, that isn't really important to me, I don't like the Eotech reticle, and I'm not interested in shake awake, which is only necessary when you want to claim 50,000 hrs of battery life but can't do it with constant on. More than one time I'd pick up the gun with the Holosun and have no dot, and the shake awake didn't work. Had to hit the top buttons to power it on.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast