Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: The Aimpoint Micro - The Best Red Dot In The World

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I just bought my first one for my Dad's rifle I built. I will let you know once I get a range trip. Looks identical to my PRO, sans night vision of course.
    Sweet! Thank you

Feedback Score
    OMFG, there is Aimpoint worship but somebody needs to help the OP off his Aimpoint prayer rug.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    OMFG, there is Aimpoint worship but somebody needs to help the OP off his Aimpoint prayer rug.
    Go be poor somewhere else.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Euro, how do you like those DD mounts compared to the factory LRP mounts? I’m picking up two more H2s and the price is essentially a wash to get the included LRP or just the H2 and DD. I currently have one H2 with the LRP and it’s ok but looks a little flimsy.

I just hate how anyone uses flathead screws instead of hex anymore.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Euro, how do you like those DD mounts compared to the factory LRP mounts? I’m picking up two more H2s and the price is essentially a wash to get the included LRP or just the H2 and DD. I currently have one H2 with the LRP and it’s ok but looks a little flimsy.

I just hate how anyone uses flathead screws instead of hex anymore.
    Totally agree on flathead vs hex. It doesn’t matter once it’s mounted but it still sucks. Makes zero sense. The cost savings are probably nothing to switch. Maybe DD likes the look? (I don’t)

I’ve found the factory LRP mounts to feel kind of flimsy. (Edit - I just realized you and I used the same word. That’s a clue in my mind) I use DD because they are the “best” mounts where QD isn’t required. Best is subjective - any mount that doesn’t loosen or break will do but I haven’t found any other permanent mounts that are rock solid for $65 and offer Lower 1/3 or Absolute.

Happy to take input from others if they know of issues with the DD Micro mount but I’ve been using them for 5+ years including on full auto and never had a single problem.

For QD, I used to buy (and still use) Larue but recently switched to Scalarworks combos for all new purchases. I did this for several reasons:

Primarily, I wanted to annoy my friends from Texas who think using anything except 20 year old lever mounts made in Texas ya’ll will result in your weapon going down immediately upon firing a single shot. They really believe this out there. I thought they were trolling at first, but they’re not.

Secondarily, I don’t like how Larue’s inventory is always sold out, levers stick out (compared to Scalarworks that are streamlined), and Scalarworks combos come preassembled with the optic mounted using a quality torque wrench. Every time I’ve bought a combo from Larue they just throw the Aimpoint and mount in a box and call it a day. Scalarwork’s attention to detail is important to me. I’m old now and no longer interested in fiddling with loctite and “1/4 turn past hand tight” specs if I can buy something quality preassembled for basically the same price.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-29-21 at 07:53.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks dude, sounds like we are on the same wavelength.

I have a new DD mount somewhere at home but right now I'm sitting in my office and can't find any good info online.

What's the process to mount to the DD? I don't see holes that allow for a straight style torque wrench to access the screws that go into the AP body itself. Is the expectation a tiny allen wrench and hand tight? I'm kind of a proper torque fanatic.
    Last edited by grizzlyblake; 01-29-21 at 08:31.

Feedback Score
    Larue mounts were the cat's meow 10-15 years ago but there are so many better options out there now.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I didn't read all the post but will throw in some thoughts on the MRO. When it came out I was all-in, sold an RMR and some other optics for 2 new MRO/Scalarworks bundles ($575 each at the time).

It was love at first "garage pew-pew" but the more time I spent behind the optic, the more weird things happened. I think the bottom line was that it was stressing my eyes to shoot. Longer sessions made it worse. And thats why initially it seemed good when I was shooting a mag at home suppressed.

So maybe that is my eyeballs and not the MROs fault. BUT this doesn't happen with any other optic, cheap or not. Currently have EXPS2, Holosun, Sig, PA 1x prism, and a Lucid 1x.

Just traded into a T-2/1.93 but zero rounds shot so far. Been trying to make a T-2 happen for years, finally have one. This will be my setup for the long haul and the other optics will live on PCCs, 22s, and the like.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    I didn't read all the post but will throw in some thoughts on the MRO. When it came out I was all-in, sold an RMR and some other optics for 2 new MRO/Scalarworks bundles ($575 each at the time).

It was love at first "garage pew-pew" but the more time I spent behind the optic, the more weird things happened. I think the bottom line was that it was stressing my eyes to shoot. Longer sessions made it worse. And thats why initially it seemed good when I was shooting a mag at home suppressed.

So maybe that is my eyeballs and not the MROs fault. BUT this doesn't happen with any other optic, cheap or not. Currently have EXPS2, Holosun, Sig, PA 1x prism, and a Lucid 1x.

Just traded into a T-2/1.93 but zero rounds shot so far. Been trying to make a T-2 happen for years, finally have one. This will be my setup for the long haul and the other optics will live on PCCs, 22s, and the like.
    The MRO's problem is parallax. I know a bunch of guys will quickly say I'm wrong, but go ahead and order one from Midway, set it on your kitchen table and aim it at your neighbor's house across the street. Move your head around and you'll watch the dot move like 8 inches around the initial aiming point.

Might be okay for like an entry team or something, but it's a train wreck for normal rifle stuff.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    The MRO's problem is parallax. I know a bunch of guys will quickly say I'm wrong, but go ahead and order one from Midway, set it on your kitchen table and aim it at your neighbor's house across the street. Move your head around and you'll watch the dot move like 8 inches around the initial aiming point.

Might be okay for like an entry team or something, but it's a train wreck for normal rifle stuff.
    Here I am, one of those guys.

I like the MRO. I understand it does have more parallax then other rds. I only use rds on my shorties as all my carbines have magnified optics.

With my 10.5 with MRO, I have no trouble making hits out to 250 and that is about my limit with that gun regardless of optic. I do also run a fixed front sight, and that helps negates parallax issues anyway because when I make a precise shot I tend to put the dot on top of the post.

Soli Deo Gloria

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast