Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POF P-415 not ejecting properly, high recoil

Feedback Score

POF P-415 not ejecting properly, high recoil

My P-415 is ejecting case 1' to 2' at 1 o'clock, sometimes the case drops inches from the rifle. Recoil seems high for a "soft shooting" heavy rifle as I can't stay on target. Significantly more recoil compared to my S&W mp15 DI rifles that weighs much less. This is the same for 5.56 55 gr ball or 50 gr .223.

Extractor is leaving slight marks on case rim, maybe some slight deformation of the rim. Slight.

Bought this rifle 10(?) Years ago and not fired till this year. 200 to 300 rounds fired to date. Of those, 2 stove piped. All others ejected and next round loaded. Bolt locks back on last round.

2-3 moa with xm ball, 1 moa with 50 gr fiocchi.

Cleaned the bore a few times with bore brush. All looks good as I can see.
    Cleaned bolt a few times, all good.
    Cleaned piston a few times, all looks good as I can see.

Piston valve is set to the "normal" position (2 settings system, normal and surpressed).

Thoughts? The high recoil seems odd, like the timing is off. What else should I be looking at?

NIXDSG

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NIXDSG View Post
    My P-415 is ejecting case 1' to 2' at 1 o'clock, sometimes the case drops inches from the rifle. Recoil seems high for a "soft shooting" heavy rifle as I can't stay on target. Significantly more recoil compared to my S&W mp15 DI rifles that weighs much less. This is the same for 5.56 55 gr ball or 50 gr .223.

Extractor is leaving slight marks on case rim, maybe some slight deformation of the rim. Slight.

Bought this rifle 10(?) Years ago and not fired till this year. 200 to 300 rounds fired to date. Of those, 2 stove piped. All others ejected and next round loaded. Bolt locks back on last round.

2-3 moa with xm ball, 1 moa with 50 gr fiocchi.

Cleaned the bore a few times with bore brush. All looks good as I can see.
    Cleaned bolt a few times, all good.
    Cleaned piston a few times, all looks good as I can see.

Piston valve is set to the "normal" position (2 settings system, normal and surpressed).

Thoughts? The high recoil seems odd, like the timing is off. What else should I be looking at?

NIXDSG
    Can you turn the gas off completely? Put in tight fitting plugs and good muffs and try it. Maybe the loud comp has you thinking it kicks more. With the gas off there will be nothing to influence the recoil impulse.

Feedback Score
    With the electronic muffs I have it's no louder to shoot compared to my mp15. Standing next to it, it's louder.

Yes, I can turn off the gas, not tried that.

My shooting buddy shot it, immediately said "wow, that thing is snappy".

Feedback Score
    Well, not sure I can turn the gas off. Looks to have "N" and "S" modes. I suppose I could turn it 1/2 way, but will not lock in place (might shoot it out?).

I cleaned it good, again. Only odd thing I see is contact with the bolt cam pin/roller with the upper as it comes out of that pocket. I see similar contact on my BCM and PSA upper to bolt cam pin so maybe that is normal?

Pushed a pipe cleaner into the gas port in the barrel, so it's aligned enough with the piston block to do that.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I bought one 12 years ago - traded it away 9 years ago. If it's Gen.3+, it should have an adjustable gas key - like an FAL - with 4 settings, as I recall. You've got a LOT more pieces to move, so wimpy ammo will need to be adjusted for.

Your recoil is not harder, it's just DIFFERENT than DI recoil. I ran an H3 buffer in mine. I also went with the PWS anti-tilt buffer tube, because buffer erosion is a real thing. I could see it happening inside my factory tube in less than 400rds.

Since you're about to outlay a whole lot MORE money, to make it, "as GOOD as," let me suggest a GOOD scope - and make an SPR out of it. Having lugged mine around a few PA/OH/WV Study Group sessions back in the day, it made me better appreciate CARRYING the DI rifle again.

Or you could do like I did. I traded mine for a NiB Kimber UC, and $800 cash. I still have the Kimber, btw.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Not sure which gen it is, but it has 2 settings, normal and suppressed.

I have other piston guns and DI, the fact that it "feels" different isn't it, but I understand what you are saying. It's not spitting out the brass as I'd expect. XM193, XM855, or .223, they all do the same thing. It cycles, but not with the authority as I'd like.

Plan is to use this for prairie dog hunting in the near future. Put a Viper 4-16 on it. It is not a light rig, I have others for walking in the woods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Have you tried shooting it in the suppressed setting?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    No, I have not tried the suppressor setting. My assumption is that the ejection is so weak that any further reduction would result in a fte. But, it would not hurt to try.

Same with larger buffer, might reduce recoil but would reduce ejection also.

It's like it is unlocking late. My impression but guessing.

Feedback Score
    It's been a while, but here's an update.

Tried an H-2 buffer, didn't seem to change ejection location, still around 1:00. So, put gas block in suppressor setting, ejection changed to 5:00. Was a limited test, few rounds, then session done.

So, time to go hunting. In suppressor mode it was about perfect with 40 gr fiocchi. Recoil was better as I could see hits on target, too! Later in the day I was low on ammo so I had to shoot some 5.56 and about first round fte. Also, 5.56 opened up on target making it difficult to get hits above 250 yards.

Not "fixed" but worked well in suppressor setting and fiocchi ammo. Dropped a lot of prairie dogs, rifle was near perfect. So good I didn't take out my back up rifle which I was originally excited to shoot (H&K SL8 w/ 4-20 scope). I still need to contact POF and see if they have a solution to get this to run on all ammo types. Shot about 700 rounds in 2 days.

Mostly happy, rifle is accurate, recoil is tamed, functions with hunting ammo.
    Last edited by NIXDSG; 08-14-20 at 06:13.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    At this point, based on your most recent update, it's probably safe to say that the rifle is seriously overgassed. I would say that your number one solution would be to send it back to POF, or at least get them to send you an updated gas valve with smaller orifices. In the meantime, if you feel like experimenting, a Sprinco Blue spring and/or an H3 buffer would be in order to see if you can get it reliable in the non-suppressed setting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast