Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low noise/power load for urban varmint?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    4.0gr Trailboss behind a 55gr jacketed bullet.

Feedback Score
    A little more info might help. It sounds like you own a .223 rifle that you want to use. You don’t state what type of rifle. You apparently don’t own anything in .22LR. You can reload, but would prefer to buy quiet ammo of possible. You are shooting in an “urban” area.

A few questions:
    1. Do you own an appropriate silencer, or are you planning to reduce noise to a sufficient level through reduced loads only?
    2. Assuming it’s legal to shoot where you are, just how “urban” is the locale? Is a muffled gunshot acceptable, or do you need “Hollywood quiet”?
    3. What type of .223 rifle do you own? Is there a rimfire adapter available for it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettJ View Post
    A little more info might help. It sounds like you own a .223 rifle that you want to use. You don’t state what type of rifle. You apparently don’t own anything in .22LR. You can reload, but would prefer to buy quiet ammo of possible. You are shooting in an “urban” area.

A few questions:
    1. Do you own an appropriate silencer, or are you planning to reduce noise to a sufficient level through reduced loads only?
    2. Assuming it’s legal to shoot where you are, just how “urban” is the locale? Is a muffled gunshot acceptable, or do you need “Hollywood quiet”?
    3. What type of .223 rifle do you own? Is there a rimfire adapter available for it?
    No silencer in play, noise level through reduced load only.
    2) not Hollywood quiet but neighbors within 100 yards to either side of the property.
    3) KAC SR15 and Troy A4 "other". Didn't know about rimfire adapter.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    2) not Hollywood quiet but neighbors within 100 yards to either side of the property.
    So a few thoughts. I'll agree with the sentiment of others that everyone should own at least one .22 rifle. A rimfire adapter for an AR15 would work well for what you are doing. While it makes for an inexpensive training setup for your rifle, it also does well for small game hunting or critter removal. There are a few different brands / versions out there. Here's one example from CMMG.

I've done the Trailboss subsonic thing with .223, but I haven't ever tried shooting it without a suppressor so I can't comment on what that sounds like. But I have used Aguila Super Colibri through a .22 rifle. It's a 20 grain bullet with extra priming compound and no powder. It wont cycle a semi-auto, but it literally sounds like shooting a pellet gun. But be aware it's not very powerful. It does a number on chipmunks, but I shot a squirrel with it just behind the shoulder and the thing took off up a tree. Granted, it fell out dead 60 seconds later. But it's not a DRT kill. Not a big deal for wild pests. Maybe a bigger thing if dealing with the neighbor's annoying pet cat (not that I would suggest such things).

The other option would be to get an actual air rifle. You can get a fairly powerful air gun that can do some serious damage to small critters. Some of the .177 caliber stuff can push pellets over 1200 fps, and they are as loud as a .22 rifle due to the sonic crack. Or you can get a .22 cal pellet rifle, which can push a heavier pellet up to around 800 fps. Still well below the sound barrier, but more powerful than the Super Colibri ammo I mentioned.

Feedback Score
    I'll agree with the sentiment of others that everyone should own at least one .22 rifle.
    This. Go spend $200 on a Ruger American Rimfire... Done.

I use one with CCI "Standard Velocity" (subsonic) .22lr to shoot gophers, skunks, racoons, crows, etc. in my suburban backyard.

If the windows are closed, then people inside the house can't even hear it.

A rimfire adapter for an AR15 would work well for what you are doing...
    Or maybe not.

I have that CMMG kit, and it was $200 (not cheaper than just buying a .22 rifle).

Also, it's not very accurate... Those kits have too much leade and the barrel dimensions aren't good for .22.

So, it's OK for shooting police silhouettes at 25yds (2-3" groups), but I wouldn't try it on small varmints.

I've done the Trailboss subsonic thing with .223...
    TrailBoss is super... If you reload, then this is your only/best/cheapest option for subsonic .223/5.56.

The other option would be to get an actual air rifle. You can get a fairly powerful air gun that can do some serious damage to small critters. Some of the .177 caliber stuff can push pellets over 1200 fps...
    I wouldn't...

I played with an uncle's new "Benjamin" .177 air rifle last weekend. It advertised 1,400+ fps, but we shot it through my chrono and it was firing 10gr pellets at barely 800 fps.

Also, it's basically a single shot, and levering open the action to reload/repressurize is awkward/impossible, depending on your shooting position.

Also, the accuracy wasn't that great: 1" groups at 20yds or so. (My .22lr will shoot dime-sized groups at that range.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    If it’s legal to shoot where you are and your neighbors are that far away, screw it just use whatever 556 ammo you want. I shoot prairie dogs at my house all the time and have neighbors the same distance away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Going to have to be covert about it otherwise this person would have ended the "threat" within minutes of initial contact
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12