Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: 223/556 Ammo Shortage. Can You Buy Ammo Where You Live?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    Wolf 5.56 is going to 60 cents a round right now. Dayum...
    So at this point, who is making the profit? Wolf? SGammo? A middle man?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    So at this point, who is making the profit? Wolf? SGammo? A middle man?
    My understanding is the same people that always have, the raw material providers. As in, the raw materials have gone up in price due to demand, and that dominoes into higher prices all throughout the manufacturing and supply process and ultimately gets burdened on the consumer, which is just how it works.

I mean, no ammunition company is going to continue to manufacture m855 and sell it for $0.20 a round when the components cost them $0.30 a round, as an example.
    No one is going to sell m855 for $0.30 a round when their cost to buy it is $0.50, as an example.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    My distributor costs has gone up across the board. IF it was in stock I can’t buy new brass cases 223/556 for under .35 a shot. Primers and powder costs have gone up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    My understanding is the same people that always have, the raw material providers. As in, the raw materials have gone up in price due to demand, and that dominoes into higher prices all throughout the manufacturing and supply process and ultimately gets burdened on the consumer, which is just how it works.

I mean, no ammunition company is going to continue to manufacture m855 and sell it for $0.20 a round when the components cost them $0.30 a round, as an example.
    No one is going to sell m855 for $0.30 a round when their cost to buy it is $0.50, as an example.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Try the “worlds finest trimmer” it really made a difference in my own process time!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    I still hate trimming but this little bugger opens up a whole new world in the trimming brass dept !! And yea,I haven't done the math,but I'm about in the same area with 55grn FMJ bullets. Maybe even less,I have some bullets that I have had forEVER !!! I've loaded about 2K in the last few weeks and didn't even make a dent in my supply of components !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbgKTXSazUo
    Quote Originally Posted by Milspec78 View Post
    Try the “worlds finest trimmer” it really made a difference in my own process time!
    Currently using the Frankfort Arsenal trim and prep center and a Dillon case gauge. It works; I just have a 5.56 brass backlog measured in 5gal buckets.

My buddy has a Dillon trimming thingy on backorder that he feels will help us greatly.

I will bring up those trimmer suggestions to our group today.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Scored 1K small rifle primers a couple of days ago at a Sportsman’s Warehouse. Ammo for .223 was limited, no 9mm to be had. Most other stuff in stock though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Currently using the Frankfort Arsenal trim and prep center and a Dillon case gauge. It works; I just have a 5.56 brass backlog measured in 5gal buckets.

My buddy has a Dillon trimming thingy on backorder that he feels will help us greatly.

I will bring up those trimmer suggestions to our group today.
    Dillon RT1500 and a Dillon full length resizing and trimming die is the answer you seek.

Combine this with a stainless steel wet tumbler to knock all trimming flashing off the case on final wash and a neck expander mandrel die that does the same on the inside diameter plus uniforms neck tension.

Set up the RT1500 and size trim die on a progressive press, run a universal decapping die on the same tool head. Bonus if you have a case feeder. The RT1500 will also require a shop vac to be running creating vacuum on the manifold around the top of the size/trim die to remove shaved brass.

Once you get the die adjusted to bump the shoulder to spec with your case gauge, and secure it very very well on the tool head, adjust the cutter to trim the neck to maximum allowable length. This is because expanding the neck with the mandrel will shrink it a smidge.

Once it’s all set up you can laugh maniacally (slight exaggeration) as you chew through brass prep at the rate of 400-500+ pieces of brass per hour.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I usually buy my ammo online (SGAmmo.com). That being said, recently I have bought some 5.56, 9mm and .45 ACP at the Kentucky Gun Co. in Bardstown, Ky. They have a nice indoor range, and they have had a lot of ammo available for sale. A little more expensive than online, and quantities are limited to a degree, but not outrageous. Whenever I go there to shoot, I usually buy some ammo on my way out after I have finished shooting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    My distributor costs has gone up across the board. IF it was in stock I can’t buy new brass cases 223/556 for under .35 a shot. Primers and powder costs have gone up as well.
    What distributor are you using? That's not what I'm seeing at Crow, Grafs or Zanders. No primers are in stock but the listed prices are about the same as pre-covid prices.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No doubt. Biggest issue I'm having with components is availability, not overpricing.

I walked into Sportsmans Whorehouse in Puyallup WA the other day, continuing the search.....low and behold a whole row of 1,000 unit boxes of Federal small pistol magnum primers.

Did some cartwheels and left with 2,000.

Went back the next day and got 1,000 more. Boxes were 23.99 ea. Have shot plenty, good as anything else.

Still looking for small rifle. Pays to reload, now more than ever.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast