Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KAC or build? Did I go wrong?

Feedback Score

KAC or build? Did I go wrong?

After 11 years of having ARs - 2 complete rifles and 4+ that I've put together myself, just bought a 16" KAC SR-15. Should get here (after transfer, etc.) next week.

Factory built ARs, I've had an LWRCI M6A3 (which I kept for about a year) and currently have an LWRCI UCIW (first NFA item). Other than that, I've mostly been putting components together and using BCM uppers.

Currently have the 8" barrel UCIW, a MK18 clone with a centurion arms upper, and a 14.5" BCM build that I've been using with 77gr SMK OTM for distance.

Got the bug to add another AR to the stable, and KAC seemed to fit the bill after doing a lot of reading. Maybe it's a little bit of buyer's remorse, but will the 16" KAC do anything the BCM won't?

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by calengor View Post
    Maybe it's a little bit of buyer's remorse, but will the 16" KAC do anything the BCM won't?
    I came to the conclusion that no, the SR15 won't do anything a Colt or BCM won't do (ambi features aside). It just does all of those things "better". Mine shot soft as hell, was a laser beam, had a good trigger, fantastic BUIS and was 100% reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Unless you went in debt buying it or made your kids eat saltine crackers and bologna every day for a year to save up for it, you probably won't regret the decision but time will tell.

I know people who've spent money on a KAC and Radian and were ultimately disappointed, but I think their expectations weren't realistic.

Enjoy your new carbine and let us know how it goes.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    You’ll dig it. Great gun. It’s quickly becoming the one I grab first.
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    So many great things about buying an SR15. It already has a great trigger, premium BCG, LMT SOPMOD stock, longer gas system, barrel.........

After buying a great base gun, you still have to do all these things and would cost just as much as your SR15. IMHO, the only upgrade you can do that might help ( only if you run suppressed) is a A5 buffer system. Mine wouldn’t lock back with weak springed 20 rd Colt mags. Did fine with pmags but was not 100% with 20 Colts.

Then if you ever need to sell because you need money, it will sell much faster that your custom builds. I have custom builds that are awesome and built from nothing but the best parts, but try and resell, very tuff.

Most never regret buying top notch gear, doubt you will either.

Congrats on a smart buy.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Great gun you wont regret it.

FYI- Newer sr15 does not come with the LMT SOPMOD anymore. They come with a Magpul SL-S i believe.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How could you possibly go wrong buying a KAC SR-15? Great company, great rifle. No regrets. Enjoy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    KAC is a solid choice, and when you figure the price vs what you are getting, you are coming out ahead IMHO.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The only thing people ever complain about with KAC is the price. Unless you're broke now, or you go broke soon, you won't worry about it.

The night Obama get re-elected I when down to the LGS for a consolation prize. I was choosing between a BCM EAG Tactical, which was nice at the time, and URX3.1 SR-15. Nothing against the BCM, but I'm glad I got the SR-15. Since I've added the SR15 11.5, and an LPR upper. The mod 2 LPR is my absolute favorite 5.56 to shoot. If I had to run away to the woods and could only carry one 5.56, that's the one I'd grab. No question.

And as has been mentioned, in the off chance you are disappointed, premium factory builds hold value much better than premium home builds. I'm sure with your experience you probably know that, but to me it's always a point worth reiterating. Enjoy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are complete rifles that I might criticize for the price and hype, but not the KAC.

I always build my own ARs these days, but then I loose the benefit of the holistic testing, QC, and support. However, I feel comfortable after building quite a few rifles over the years that I can tune, trouble shoot and repair them out of my stocks of parts. Funny thing is they never break. Using common sense, quality components and paying attention to assembly and fitment can result in a good rifle.

That said, If you buy a complete rifle and then start swapping out parts, you have lost the advantage. I'm not talking about grips and stocks.

In the future, when I get to a free state, I will be looking for a complete rifle as a suppressor host. We'll see if I can find what I want, which is a problem with built rifles.

Anyway, congratulations on your purchase!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast