Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KAC or build? Did I go wrong?

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    The E3 bolt is the primary reason to get a KAC. You can do everything else they do besides that. Its not like people don't know what gas port sizes they use or what the Mod 2 gas system does or what their buffer weights are. At some point someone in other businesses said F it and keep pumping out what should be $800-1200 guns for $1500-2000+

The Sig MCX is the only platform I can see derailing anything.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    The E3 bolt is the primary reason to get a KAC. You can do everything else they do besides that. Its not like people don't know what gas port sizes they use or what the Mod 2 gas system does or what their buffer weights are. At some point someone in other businesses said F it and keep pumping out what should be $800-1200 guns for $1500-2000+

The Sig MCX is the only platform I can see derailing anything.
    I have previously owned what many people consider "good" factory AR-15 rifles. There is more to the KAC SR-15 than what you stated IMHO.

Does anyone else use their 'style' of gas system? Yes, 'game guns' can shoot soft but, a KAC SR-15 isn't a game gun. It isn't just about playing with gas port sizes and buffer weights.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    Does anyone else use their 'style' of gas system? ... It isn't just about playing with gas port sizes and buffer weights.
    This is becoming a less compelling proposition, with Geissele using a lengthened gas system on complete rifles and BRT offering optimized stripped barrels at multiple barrel lengths.
    My statement isn’t a knock on KAC, just your specific argument. BRT put together an upper for me with their barrel and gas system but a KAC URX4.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    I have previously owned what many people consider "good" factory AR-15 rifles. There is more to the KAC SR-15 than what you stated IMHO.

Does anyone else use their 'style' of gas system? Yes, 'game guns' can shoot soft but, a KAC SR-15 isn't a game gun. It isn't just about playing with gas port sizes and buffer weights.

So what else is it about? If I had to say anything else it would be the URX lockup to the upper, and the combat trigger is pretty sweet.

I still think the E3 bolt is what what's best about an SR15, and I put over 20k rounds through my 'Mod 0' gun with a 3T. Now I own a Mod 2 and its even better. My EMC was amazing but the only thing stopping other companies from making just as good of guns is their own reluctance to step out there and innovate.

I didn't say anything about game guns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    KAC certianly has an advantage with innovation. Opinions may vary but, I put the SR-15 and SR-25 up there with the Barrett M82/M107 for really advancing state of the art in semi-automatic rifles.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    KAC certianly has an advantage with innovation. Opinions may vary but, I put the SR-15 and SR-25 up there with the Barrett M82/M107 for really advancing state of the art in semi-automatic rifles.
    Agreed.

Feedback Score
    Seems kinda silly that they put a basic MOE stock on a $2500+ factory rifle. They could've at least given you the CTR lol.

Nonetheless, KAC and Radian are the top dogs in the AR world. They don't do anything a BCM can't do though, it just depends on what you want and what your expectations are. Personally, I'd put the money in a MCX as it offers more substantial differences in an AR form-factor, but YMMV.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are certainly other competitors in similar form factors if you move away from strictly AR-15 options. Europe especially has some interesting platforms to consider.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123