Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Prism sights in 2020

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    1x: Yes. Have it, still use it and love it. Fantastic RDS alternative.
    2x: I don't see the point, though I've only emulated it with an LPVO @2x, maybe it's better live?
    2.5x: See above
    3x: I've done it, and it does work pretty well as a do all, but i'm over it.
    4x: I don't think anyone other than Trijicon makes one anymore?
    5x: I have tried the Burris 536 with piggyback and offset Fastfire 3. It should have worked, but the incredibly tiny eyebox of the 536 kills it for anything other than benchwork.

The Primary Arms Glx 2x has my attention, but yet again, they put horribly dinky reticle in it, I'm reading and seeing mixed claims of brightness, and now they're having cracked base problems because china is being china.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Why not buy and Acog? I see that alot, but the tritium / fiber just doesn't get bright enough like an illuminated reticle. Although the battery powered one does pose an interesting alternative, other than price.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I just had a PA 2.5x Prism a few months ago.
    I'm used to PROs and I have a PA 1-6x SFP in an ADM mount, but... maybe it was the way it sat up high in the mount, but it felt bulky and top-heavy on the rifle.
    I can't imagine that would improve with their 5x options. YMMV, just my opinion.

I *really* want to try one of the Cyclops Prisms, because my eyes have started to go to $#!+ and red dots are starting to streak and blur, and that's the closest "not-red dot, red dot" 1x optic WITH a non-$#!+ reticle that I've seen. BUT the incessant reports of "the reticle is to small" is stopping me from trying it.

Also will be interesting to see what happens to the QC of anything from China post-Corona...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    I *really* want to try one of the Cyclops Prisms, because my eyes have started to go to $#!+ and red dots are starting to streak and blur, and that's the closest "not-red dot, red dot" 1x optic WITH a non-$#!+ reticle that I've seen. BUT the incessant reports of "the reticle is to small" is stopping me from trying it.
    Got a Cyclops for the same reason about a year ago, my vision was giving me trouble with the aimpoint red dot I had. The Cyclops for me was great, I agree the reticle would ideally be enlarged, but it's usable and the clarity for my astigmatism was a god-send. Only problem now is, I'm avoiding getting more Chinese-source gear as much as possible.

Feedback Score
    I just had a PA 2.5x Prism a few months ago.
    I'm used to PROs and I have a PA 1-6x SFP in an ADM mount, but... maybe it was the way it sat up high in the mount, but it felt bulky and top-heavy on the rifle.
    I can't imagine that would improve with their 5x options. YMMV, just my opinion.

Also will be interesting to see what happens to the QC of anything from China post-Corona...
    Depending if you like the reticle or not, the Swampfox Blade might be worth a look. It has the larger reticle, but off sets are not typical. They are for closer range 5, 10 and 15 yard holds. DLO has had some good things to say about the brand in general although they are newer. I would say quality is right there with PA cyclops. I would def go with a PRO or similar if i had the choice, but if vision is an issue options are always good

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    Depending if you like the reticle or not, the Swampfox Blade might be worth a look. It has the larger reticle, but off sets are not typical. They are for closer range 5, 10 and 15 yard holds. DLO has had some good things to say about the brand in general although they are newer. I would say quality is right there with PA cyclops. I would def go with a PRO or similar if i had the choice, but if vision is an issue options are always good
    Yeah, I'd just as soon get the Vortex or SIG options before that one.
    Not only does the Blade have a lot of features I don't care about (seriously, holdovers for close range? WTF?), nor do I feel the price is worth, I also have barely heard of them and I don't trust them.

The ONLY reason I even consider Primary Arms an option at all is there is so damn many of them on market, that between the end users and (hopefully) trustworthy people in the shooting industry/community, if there were major flaws they'd have found them by now, but instead, the vast majority of experiences seem to be positive.
    So after a few years, I'd say PA is about as "proven" as a Chinesium optic maker can get.

When/if Swampfox gets to that level and quits the gimmicky names/'features', maybe I'll consider them again.

IF I can ever find a Cyclops for a decent price on the used market, or someone with one I can borrow, I'm going to give it a try, just to be thorough and see the reticle for myself.
    However, I'm betting I'll probably still be sticking with the 1-6x LPVO.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 08-04-20 at 12:44.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    IF I can ever find a Cyclops for a decent price on the used market, or someone with one I can borrow, I'm going to give it a try, just to be thorough and see the reticle for myself.
    However, I'm betting I'll probably still be sticking with the 1-6x LPVO.
    Stick with LPVO, if straight-up T2 or similar not working for you. Cyclops is solid not spectacular. But I'm really waiting for an American company (or at least, something made by a US ally) to put out a quality prism sight. I know about Leupold's offerings, all of those suck IMHO. ACOG not an option, no ocular adjustment. Given the whole China situation, if I were you, I'd forget the Cyclops and go with your LPVO plan. I don't think there's enough demand for prism sights in the current US market that anybody is bothering to make them at the medium or high end of the optics market.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Burris makes a 1x prism, which I can only assume is made in the Philippines like the rest of the stuff they are known for: https://www.burrisoptics.com/sights/...s-series/ar-1x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good find, I hadn't seen that one, might be interested in that myself.

ETA: Ok wait, those are a new design, it doesn't look like these have been through any kind of user testing yet. Back to the drawing board. Super frustrated with the lack of choices due to the China situation, but what I'm left with is Aimpoints (which I can't see clearly without correction, even the T2's) or LPVO's using the ocular adjustment. That's it.
    Last edited by maximus83; 08-04-20 at 17:03.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'm still waiting on my PA GLx 2X for my 11.5 as I think it will be a great fit, maybe with an ADM mount. In the mean time, I'm right there with the 52yr old eyes and an astigmatism. Red dots are good with glasses, not so much without so I run a Scalarworks front sight post in addition to the dot as it's crystal clear. Currently running an MRO HD which is good but putting a Sig Juliet 3X behind it is golden. Using the diopter on the magnifier gives the ability to tune that dot perfect (at least +/- 2). I may move this setup to my 16" gun if the PA is a winner. IMG_20200829_143217 by Michael Starmer, on Flickr

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast