Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Prism sights in 2020

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    I just had a PA 2.5x Prism a few months ago.
    I'm used to PROs and I have a PA 1-6x SFP in an ADM mount, but... maybe it was the way it sat up high in the mount, but it felt bulky and top-heavy on the rifle.
    I can't imagine that would improve with their 5x options. YMMV, just my opinion.

I *really* want to try one of the Cyclops Prisms, because my eyes have started to go to $#!+ and red dots are starting to streak and blur, and that's the closest "not-red dot, red dot" 1x optic WITH a non-$#!+ reticle that I've seen. BUT the incessant reports of "the reticle is to small" is stopping me from trying it.

Also will be interesting to see what happens to the QC of anything from China post-Corona...
    I tried the 1x Cyclops a while back. I've been on a long journey looking for optics that are friendly with my astigmatism. IMO the Cyclops is a good optic overall and was crystal clear for my eyes. The drawbacks are the tiny reticle and I wish the eye relief was longer. Note the retie is small because they insist on putting their ACSS reticle in it. The ACSS may be a good reticle under magnification, but i feel its features are all but worthless at 1x. I think the optic would be better if they dropped all the dots and increased the size of the horseshoe and chevron.

I've also used the 1x prism sight from Vortex and liked it quite a bit too. If I had to pick one I would go with the Vortex because I like the reticle better.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I tried the 1x Cyclops a while back. I've been on a long journey looking for optics that are friendly with my astigmatism. IMO the Cyclops is a good optic overall and was crystal clear for my eyes. The drawbacks are the tiny reticle and I wish the eye relief was longer. Note the retie is small because they insist on putting their ACSS reticle in it. The ACSS may be a good reticle under magnification, but i feel its features are all but worthless at 1x. I think the optic would be better if they dropped all the dots and increased the size of the horseshoe and chevron.

I've also used the 1x prism sight from Vortex and liked it quite a bit too. If I had to pick one I would go with the Vortex because I like the reticle better.
    I'm going to have to press X for doubt. I don't think it has anything to do with the ACSS features, I think they just plain made the reticle to small.
    As stated before I have a PA 1-6x SFP with the ACSS and it's perfectly sized at 1x. And that's a SFP optic, so the reticle stays the same size at 1x or 6x or anywhere in between.Granted, the holds won't be accurate at anything but 6x, but... it still *looks* the same size.
    So, at the right sizing scale, it's definitely not worthless at 1x. If anything I would think it would be even more useful in a 1x optic, since it gives you nice, easy to understand useful holdovers.

Maybe I am just an idiot, and the reticle needs to be that micro-size to scale correctly for the holds when used in a 1x optic, BUT.... you'd think by now with all the complaints about reticle size they'd have re-scaled it.
    I still need to try one to be sure for myself, but as this is an ongoing complaint specific to this optic...I really don't understand why it hasn't been addressed at this point.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 08-30-20 at 18:03.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    The primary arms 2x is even better than I imagined

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    I'm going to have to press X for doubt. I don't think it has anything to do with the ACSS features, I think they just plain made the reticle to small.
    As stated before I have a PA 1-6x SFP with the ACSS and it's perfectly sized at 1x. And that's a SFP optic, so the reticle stays the same size at 1x or 6x or anywhere in between.Granted, the holds won't be accurate at anything but 6x, but... it still *looks* the same size.
    So, at the right sizing scale, it's definitely not worthless at 1x. If anything I would think it would be even more useful in a 1x optic, since it gives you nice, easy to understand useful holdovers.

Maybe I am just an idiot, and the reticle needs to be that micro-size to scale correctly for the holds when used in a 1x optic, BUT.... you'd think by now with all the complaints about reticle size they'd have re-scaled it.
    I still need to try one to be sure for myself, but as this is an ongoing complaint specific to this optic...I really don't understand why it hasn't been addressed at this point.
    This is from the product description on the Primary Arms website:

Patented ACSS Cyclops reticle provides fast target acquisition, range estimation, and moving target leads out to 400 yards.
    Wouldn't the reticle need to be sized very precisely/specifically for all those features to work at a particular magnification level (1x in this case)?
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercs View Post
    The primary arms 2x is even better than I imagined

I saw that listed on their site, sounds like they've upgraded the glass. My only problem with a fixed 2x is basically it's not really optimized for anything: it's not enough magnification to really reach out, and not a true 1x for CQ.

Feedback Score

Prism sights in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    I saw that listed on their site, sounds like they've upgraded the glass. My only problem with a fixed 2x is basically it's not really optimized for anything: it's not enough magnification to really reach out, and not a true 1x for CQ.
    You can shoot it with both eyes open like a red dot for cqb if you turn on the illumination, put the reticle on the target and there is minimal parallax shift when using it that way

Last edited by Mercs; 09-04-20 at 09:45.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercs View Post
    You can shoot it with both eyes open like a red dot for cqb if you turn on the illumination, put the reticle on the target and there is minimal parallax shift when using it that way

Plus, as has been stated elsewhere, the GLx series is made in the Philippines not China.

So that's another plus.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Plus, as has been stated elsewhere, the GLx series is made in the Philippines not China.

So that's another plus.

Not the Prism

I've got one on order and would have ordered one a while ago if they were. I'm trying to go away from China stuff, hopefully in the future they can move their factories elsewhere.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    I think it's a good Balance. The ACSS can be hard to pickup on 1x optics. Should be a good SHTF optic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhalo View Post
    I think it's a good Balance. The ACSS can be hard to pickup on 1x optics. Should be a good SHTF optic.
    With the 1X Cyclops just put if more forward. Reticle appears bigger and eye relief can handle it
    Marshall Lerner
    CEO Primary Arms, LLC
    Contact me at: marshall@primaryarms.com

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast