Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Prism sights in 2020

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by marsh1 View Post
    My comment about no issues with size was referring to the new 2X. For some the 1X with Cyclops reticle does appear small. That is why I posted above that the easy fix is to run it more forward than is 100% ideal for eye relief. Makes it appear bigger without impacting effectiveness. To actually make it bigger you would change the zero point which has been discussed. I will look up the MOA measurement when I get back on Tuesday
    To put the Cyclops horseshoe reticle in perspective: my Leupold MK IV 1.5-5.5x20 scope has the CMR-2 horseshoe reticle that has a 5 MOA inner circle, a 7.5 MOA outer circle, all around a half MOA aiming dot. That is easy to see and I've heard only a few folks complain it was too small, there are still people seeking that now-discontinued scope even today for its great glass, light weight, and reticle. In a visual comparison, the Cyclops ACSS horseshoe reticle appears almost identical to me in size, it's at least as easy to see, maybe more so as the Cyclops illumination is a bit stronger than the Leupold's. I'd guess the inner diameter of the Cyclops circle is very close to the Leupold's, be surprised if it's not at least 3 MOA. Still don't get why anyone has any trouble seeing the horseshoe for fast heads-up close range shooting, I can acquire it faster than my 2 MOA Aimpoint dots which are definitely smaller. If you have no problem acquiring an Aimpoint, you should have no problem with this reticle.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If someone were expecting or used to a 65 MOA circle I could see how that might still be described as small.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by marsh1 View Post
    I shoot both eyes open. The brain will quickly adjust so you still have situational awareness using both eyes but can easily take shot at very short distance if needed.
    This is true. Also, long eye relief greatly aids both-eyes-open shooting.

I offer the following strictly based on my own experience. It's an easy one to dismiss out of hand (as I suspect many will), but I'll take the time to offer input on it as a data point of one.

After decades of less-than-happiness trying Aimpoints (blurry dot from astigmatism), LPVOs (too heavy, other issues with the models I tried), 1x prism sights (Leupold Prismatic, would have been better as a 2x) and compact ACOGs (no diopter adjustment), I'm now using a setup I decided to try entirely on a whim;

Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20mm in a DD mount.

I've been using this setup for a few years and have been surprisingly happy with it. For my use, which is recreational shooting from CQC ranges out to 300 yards, it fits the bill far better than I thought it would.

A few key points;

• Light weight - scope and mount combined weigh 12 ounces
    • Exceptional eye relief - nearly five inches (look at the position of the scope on the upper and all the room to grab the CH)
    • Forgiving eye box
    • Excellent glass
    • Very streamlined and "snag free" with no large turrets or mounting levers/nuts protruding
    • Due to the long eye relief, forgiving eye box and slim design, very easy to shoot with both eyes open
    • Simple, non-illuminated duplex reticle that can be rendered razor sharp with the adjustable/lockable ocular
    • Actual magnification is 2.2x

I use the scope as my primary sighting device with the MI Combat Rifle Offset Sight Set as back-up. I have the scope zeroed at 200 yards "Maximum Point Blank Range" style which allows simple center aim out to 230 yards with no more than +/- 2 inches of deviation of POI from POA. At 300 yards the hold over is nine inches, which is easy to estimate based on target size.

For any low-light applications, the use of a WML makes the reticle pop just fine, or just roll the rifle to use the large aperture MI offset BUIS.

The scope and mount have proven to be rock solid. It's about as simple and "non-tactical" as one can get, but it fits my needs quite well for use on a light weight, general purpose carbine. All for about $400 of made in the USA goodness.

FWIW and undoubtedly not for everybody, but I really like this setup...
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    ILya posted a comparative review of the Vortex 5x25 and the Swampfox 5x36 prism scopes, light versus heavy. Palmetto has the Vortex on sale for $200 right now. Both Chinese made.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I just got the Steiner T536 when PSA was blowing them out at $299.

What a freaking steel!!!

Only one range trip so far but I really like it.

Thinking about cutting off the rubber armor. Supposedly it saves almost 3oz according to Reddit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    I just got the Steiner T536 when PSA was blowing them out at $299.
    I missed that. How is the eyebox?
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567